After Independence

Hank and Connor were at the station watching the t.v closely along with most of its workers. As President Warren stated her final thoughts on Androids fate in the world.
"On this day I declare, that androids shall have the same rights as humans, and shall not be discriminated against in the work place, establishments, or in public. If so the assaltor will face regular jail time or fines as it to being a human victim. They are no longer machines obeying us at their own will, they are now alive."
The room erupted with mixed emotions. Some people cheering and clapping, others booing and breathing disappointed sighs. But Hank and Connor were ecstatic. As soon as president Warren finished her speech. Hank threw his arms around Connor with the biggest smile and Connor returned. "You're officially free, Connor." Said Hank,
"How does it feel?"
Connor pulled away from Hanks embrace trying to find the correct words to describe the sensation he's never felt before. "I don't know." Said Connor as a confused look plastered across his face. "Its like fear, but not. Its... A nice feeling...but scary at the same time."

Hank giggled at Connor's confusion and put a hand on his shoulder. "That's called excitement, Connor. And you should be excited, you get to decide who you wanna be."
Connor returned Hank's answer with another question. "But what if I don't know who I want to be?"
Hanks smile turned sweet and subtle and looked Connor deep in his eyes with breaking contact. "That's the best part about being alive, finding it out for yourself." He turned away from, Connor to leave the break room and return to his desk to grab his car keys.
Alive
That word resonated with Connor.
He wasn't just machine anymore. He wasn't something humans used as a tool anymore. He wasn't a slave or an obedient servant, he was just...Connor.
"Connor!" Yelled the lieutenant from his desk, snapping Connor out of his thoughts. "Come on, let's go home."
"Home?" Said Connor with a puzzled look on his face.
"Yeah," Hank said "I don't think cyberlife would want you back after the whole, freedom thing. Ill be in the car when your ready to leave." Hank walked out of the  stations doors to crank up the car. While Connor lingered behind for a minuet or two to finish up a report he was filing. After he finished it he headed to Hank's car and slipped in the passengers seat. They started their way home and made half the trip without talking, the radio filling some of the silence until Connor finally spoke "Could you help me lieutenant."
Hank turned to Connor with a puzzled look on his face. "Help you with what?"
"I'm not really sure how emotions work. The only one I've really experienced was fear and that's all I have to go off of. I know that I am alive but I want to feel alive. Will you help me with that?"

For a second Hank thought Connor was joking until he turned to see Connor half sorrow expression that made Hank felt bad for the android, not understanding how to feel must've felt horrible. And he could see how it was affecting Connor. Being scared at any new sensation he felt not knowing how to react to it. So did Hank really have a choice?
"Of course, I will. I can't even imagine how confused you must be." The response earned a little smile from Connor. "Me neither, counting on the fact I barely know what that is."