Chapter two

The girl was pathetic, falling into a fit of hysterics in the middle of the woods. If he wasn't following the rules to his own plan, she would already be strewn across the woods she was screaming in.

Not yet.

She starts to calm down and takes a few shaky breathes, lifting the flashlight and swinging it around the forest. She better start moving soon, because as soon as she finds the first one, he was allowed to move after her. The second made him faster, the third even faster. Fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh only got harder as you continued, making enclosed spaces deathtraps and stopping at any point. If you turned off the flashlight in hopes of hiding, he could turn it back on.

There was no escape.

Unfortunately, no one has ever reached the eighth paper. That was his only desire. The one who will reach the eighth would be the one, the person who was made for him. If you can survive him, you can thrive with him.

That was the point of the game.

It was far different than his other approaches to the smaller humans, the children. Their innocence drew him in, the fact that they were far more accepting than the teenagers. They gave him a feeling of happiness, before they acted just like the older ones and rejected him, which means he must get rid of them.

The teenagers get a far scarier tool. If you can survive it, you can thrive with it.

Too bad that so many panic before they even get to far.

And he was getting tired of these foolish people thinking they can make it, only to be the loudest screamers when they get impaled by pine trees, organs being taken out before they were even done dying.

He just wanted to find one. One person who wouldn't be afraid of him every second, who would understand what he did, who would be by his side for eternity.

He senses the girl finding the first paper, by the short burst of triumph that flowed through her mind. If he could smile, a sickening grin would be appearing right now, one that would shame the Grinch.

He moves from the tree and goes to find the girl, like a twisted game of hide and seek. Before she knows it, he appears in her flashlight beam and screams, turning it off and running quickly in the other direction, slowing down after a few minutes and turning it back on. He keeps following her, waiting for something to happen, something to speed things up.

They come along the big rock and she makes the mistake of walking in between them, turning around only to see him inches away, his blank face cold and heartless in response to her desperate screams of fear.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.