Chapter 1

Astrid Hofferson looked around for a parking space at Berk University. Her stuff was piled up in the back of her ratty car and there was hardly any room left for her parrot, Stormfly.  "Come one, come on. Yes!" She cheered as pulled into a spot in front of the building. "I'm fine Dad!" She heard a boy argue behind her. "I don't need a ramp to get in and out of the dorm." 

Astrid rolled her eyes and started carrying her stuff  up to the dorm she shared with her friend Rachel, who she had known since 3rd grade, when her best friend Henry moved suddenly at the end of 2nd grade. She hadn't seen him since, although every couple of years she looked him up online to see what he was up to. Astrid didn't see much. Just his Facebook page with nothing on there besides an outdated picture of  him from when he was around 9 and a only 11 friends, most of which were family and a blonde boy whose name Astrid couldn't see. They hadn't talked for years, exchanging only 2 or 3 emails in the 10 years they had been apart. The last one had been sent on Astrid's 11th birthday. Henry never replied. 

"I set up the fridge." Rachel said from her bed as Astrid brought in her last box. Astrid rolled her eyes. "Of course you did. Food is your life." "Hey, I don't even know what I want to do with my life, Miss Engineering Major." Astrid laughed. "It's not Engineering, it's architecture with a minor of Norse mythology." "Oh right, sorry Little Miss Thor."