Chapter 2

Across the campus, Henry Haddock was climbing out of his car. His father had insisted on driving to the Dean of Residential Living's office (A/N: Is this a thing?) to complain that there was no ramp for his son. Henry, better known as Hiccup for reasons he did not remember, insisted that it was fine, he could manage, but his father would hear known of it. 

Finally, he climbed back in his dad's car and drove to his co-ed dorm building. He had talked to his future roommate, Franklin, a few times that day, and were able to figure out that Hiccup would arrive before Franklin and would set up so that way there was less for Franklin to do. After he had brought up all his ridiculously heavy boxes (why'd he have to bring that science set he got at his 7th birthday party?), Hiccup turned and looked out the window. He hadn't been back to Virginia in years, since his father moved them to Philadelphia to be closer to his work. 8 year old Hiccup had been distraught. He didn't want to leave his friends and grandparents and he'd be damned if they were going to leave Astrid behind. His father, Stoick Haddock, had the strenuous task of telling him that Astrid had her own family and couldn't come with them, but she could visit if she wanted to.  She never did. They exchanged emails when they were younger and figured out how to do it without crashing the computer (sorry Dad!), but those emails came to an end once texting and phones became more readily available. Hiccup searched for her on Facebook, but he could only find her mom (who didn't post often), and Instagram, a locked account that Hiccup wasn't even sure was hers (since when did she like birds?), and Twitter, but he couldn't find a single account that matched who he was looking for. 

Astrid. 

Astrid. 

Astrid.