Chapter 9: Battle with the Beasts

My heart pounded in a way I hadn't felt in a long time. This would be an epic battle for the ages.

The air mixed together in the most beautiful and volatile way imaginable. Cool air from Suicune wrapped around my left side. At the same time, warm air from Entei caused me to break into a sweat on my right. The most terrifying of the three, however, was the way my skin prickled at the electric current moving through the air from Raikou. My hairs stood on end at the voltage, preparing for the shock they were about to receive. Everything mixed together to create perfect tornado conditions, except for the fact that we were underground.

The ground rumbled again as Entei roared. With that final warning, the battle began.

My eyes lost track of the first opponent, Raikou, as it dashed around the field. It left a dazzling trail of energy behind its body. That trail was the only thing my eyes could keep up with. I knew in my mind I had to do something, lest I be a standing target for the Beasts. Or worse, dinner.

Then, the energy slammed full force into my chest. I was knocked off my feet to the dirt below. I couldn't breathe, and I was left coughing and sputtering for a second. I slowly peeled myself off of the ground and to my knees. In front of me was Raikou. It stared me down with a ferociousness I had only seen once before in the feral Mewtwo. Its fangs crackled with power, and it growled in a low tone. My hair stood up again, a warning sign of the coming lightning strike. I was done for.

I stared my fate down, trying to think of how to escape. If I moved too quickly, the beast would strike for sure. Instead, I slowly brought my hand to my belt, my fingers brushing each individual Poké Ball until I grasped the right one. I looked down but brought my eyes back up immediately when Raikou snarled at the action. He roared again. The sound was like thunder clapping right up against my ears.

Suddenly, an Umbreon charged at Raikou from the corner of my eye, knocking the electric type away momentarily. I jumped to my feet and sprinted across the floor to my savior. I heard the group leader shouting commands at the dark type as I passed.

"Thanks!" I shouted over the noise. He nodded to me and continued to fight.

It was time to join the fight now. Everyone else already had their partners out and in fighting stances. Some trainers were already recalling their first picks in exchange for their seconds or even thirds in a few unlucky cases. Moves flew through the air at the invisible target, hoping to at least glance Raikou. This would be a tough battle.

I began to think through the Pokémon I had on me at the moment. Charizard was a poor choice. He was at a disadvantage against two opponents, and his attacks had little effect on another. Instead, I opted to use him as a vehicle.

"Charizard," I shouted as I threw his ball to my side. My partner materialized next to me, awaiting my command with eagerness. "You won't be fighting this time unless you absolutely have to. I'm going to use the other five."

He looked crestfallen, but I ignored the bloodlust in his eyes. I was the trainer, and I knew what was best. I grabbed the next best in line from my belt, my Alakazam, and got to work. "Go, Alakazam!"

The psychic type emerged from her ball, looking into my eyes with patience. She was always the best behaved of my team. "Ala?" she asked. What is your command? is what I took it to mean.

"Start charging up Future Sight," I commanded. "Do not, under any circumstance, release it until I tell you to." She nodded with a hum, and her eyes closed. A purple aura similar to Mewtwo's surrounded her.

I thought for a split second to use Mewtwo, but then I decided against it. He was probably still grumpy. I skipped to the next ball from my belt and threw it to my feet. The rookie Miltank materialized next to me. "Miltank, use Rollout when Raikou charges by next."