Chapter 3: "I want to use magic!" A one-year-old man

Part 1

A few months have passed since discovering my attribute was colorless.

Other than perhaps being overly-doted on, there haven't been any major problems.

After being read many more books covering a variety of topics, I am finally able to understand the writing and am capable of reading myself.

If I were to meet any other 1 year old who could read, then I couldn't help but be creeped-out and suspicious of their circumstances, so I'll keep this skill a secret for now.

It seems that books are indeed an expensive privilege in this world; Elena-san showed great pride in every book she owned despite some being worn and tattered.

As expected this world closely resembles my world's middle ages, but with magic.

It is a severe world, with a variety of different races like Noel competing to survive, there was strong discrimination between nobles and commoners, and there was a chance of being insta-killed from running into one of the Demon race.

That was how cheap a life was here; it was survival of the fittest.

Using the knowledge from the previous world, I'll develop my understanding of magic, forge a strong body, and live on in this new world with all my might.

I'm not so optimistic as to expect a 3rd chance.

But ... I'd already failed at the first hurdle; magic.

[Elementary magic textbook]

The magic book detailed the method for determining one's attribute, as well as the meaning of the colors.

Red: [Fire]

Blue: [Water]

Green: [Wind]

Yellow: [Soil]

And my colorless ... [None].

Yep. I had no attribute.

Unfortunately this didn't mean that I could use all of them freely; instead it meant that I suffered the steep non-attribute penalty in all of them.

"Seriously ... ?"

I muttered reflexively.

The book I am holding now is [Albert's Adventure Log].

The author traveled all over the world and wrote about the strange customs of other lands and mysterious phenomena he encountered.

Basically it was an autobiography, but has many interesting things written in it, like; a volcano-like mountain which erupts with water every year, a special trait of the cat tribe, a strange custom of the silver-wolf tribe. Things which were impossible in my previous world were written about frequently, and while many of the stories were interesting and some were even humorous, in emergency situations the writing became very serious; it gave off the impression that the author did not try to warp the truth and detailed things as he saw them – this made me approach the book as a worthwhile study about the world rather than a fiction for entertainment.

Then, right there it was written -- about the colorless attribute.

It was a short section, not even exceeding a page. This was what was written:

[I've been wandering for several years now and feel that I've spent every day meaningfully.

I've met many different humans, and various races, and the importance of magic in their everyday lives is apparent.

However, my greatest dissatisfaction is discrimination. It's present everywhere; between races, nobles and commoners ... Seeing the disparity in their living standards makes me very sad.