Chapter 6: Past and Dreams

"So that's how it is ..."

"I'm ... I'm very sorry Sirius."

After announcing my mother's death, Elena-san starts looking down without wiping her tears.

I don't know if she's sad because of  due to a feeling of guilt from not telling me before or because of a feeling of powerlessness. I should be the most affected by this, normally anyone would be shaken up to find that their mother is dead.

However, the experiences of my previous life prevent me from losing my cool.

I had killed countless number of people and had lost a lot of my friends as well. It's not that it's impossible for me to feel the emotion of sadness, but rather that when I do I have learn to not cry in public. I have learned that accepting the sadness is better than being paralyzed with emotion for life.

"Elena-san, it's alright."

"B-But I lied to you ..."

"You lied for my own good. How could I be angry at you while I'm so thankful for you?"

"B-But ... I-I ..."

I return my eyes to the picture of my mother. I can really see my traits in her face, she resembles me a lot. I wounder what kind of person she was when she was alive.

"For now I just want to know more about my mom."

"Oh! A-About Ojou-sama?

"Yeah. I want to know what kind of person she was, what she liked, anything you can tell me about her is fine really."

"Well, Maria ... Aria-sama was quite the innocent lady ..."

She starts recalling my mother with a soft expression on her face. Innocent huh, well, she does give off that kind of feeling in the picture, a pure innocent lady.

"She was the only daughter of the aristocrat Eldland. She was a very dignified lady with a very kind heart and she saved me when I fell into despair. Though her actions did not please the other aristocrats, she had a mysterious charisma that could attract and enchant anyone. However, the Eldland family ended up being defeated in a power struggle that occurred between the aristocrats and the clan was deprived of its noble status. At that time, there was a foolish aristocrat who fell in love with Aria-sama at first sight. She married him in exchange for the protection of her parents."

She sold herself for her family, I wonder how much resolution that demands.

"From there it got worse. The foolish noble got tired of Aria-sama after playing around with her once, she then got confined in this mansion and was not given any status. We three people who had no apparent future were hired in this mansion thanks to the recommendation given by the benevolent Aria-sama. Fortunately or not, by that time, Aria-sama was pregnant with you, Sirius-sama. When that was found out, she was given only a little amount of money in order to raise you to become a spare heir ..."

I'm angry from the bottom of my heart. Though that aristocrat is my father, I feel no hesitation to feel genuine hatred towards him. Well, right now, I feel like she's spitting the resentment she pent-up during all these years.

"It was found out afterwards that the power struggle was caused by the noble in order to get Aria-sama. Her parents are still missing as well. Because of all this, I deeply hated the aristocrat and everything related to him."

What a fuckin' asshole.

"However, Aria-sama didn't feel that way. She was just joyfully patting her growing stomach while in high spirits. 'But this is that aristocrat's child!'. Even after I told her something that rude, Aria-sama just calmly started talking."