Ragnarok

"Do you really think it's a good idea to go back to Earth?"

"Yes, of course," Thor nodded, "the people of Earth love me, I'm very popular."

"Let me rephrase that," Loki clarified, "do you really think it's a good idea to bring me back to Earth?"

"Probably not, to be honest. But I wouldn't worry, brother," Thor sighed with a slight grin, "I feel like everything is gonna work out fine."

~~~

The feeling of anxiety was a stranger to Loki; he was built upon a solid foundation of confidence and assuredness in nearly any situation, so this particular and unpleasant sensation felt as if this could be the end of his mischievous life. As he looked through the ship's windows and down towards the planet they had just begun to orbit, his chest began to burn with each breath and he felt a little off balance from the shift in oxygen. "Is this what humans call a panic attack?" he asked aloud, more to himself than anyone else, but as luck would have it, Thor was a mere few steps away.

"Something wrong?"

"I find myself at an impasse," Loki answered carefully, "in that I trust your decision to seek refuge here, but I also challenge your rationale for which side of the planet you're about to park us on."

Thor smiled smugly and landed a firm slap on Loki's shoulder as he took his place next to him. It wasn't a hastily made decision to return to Midgard, but it was quickly realized that the remaining Asgardian's had little for other choices. "We'll be fine, brother. I know that a lifetime of history tells you to share your trust with caution, but I should earn it today. This is the best option for our people, you'll see."

"I do trust you, Thor...well, to a point," he smiled back. "Yes, I was worried about Midgard overall, but I certainly did not expect to find us here. Of all of the places that this vast planet has to offer, and you have chosen the worst to announce our arrival. You can't imagine that I will be welcome in the home of the Avengers."

"They're my friends," Thor shrugged. "Where else would you have me choose, but a place where we are most likely to be taken in without question?"

Loki paused and considered what Thor was saying, and he really did understand, but there was no way that the Battle of New York had faded from anyone's minds, even now. As soon as he could set foot on the ground, it would begin; there would be penance and restitution to be paid, and he had no doubt that the bill would be insurmountable for a man with now-empty pockets. Thor's words had done nothing to quell his nerves, and as the planet grew within the window frame, and once the team compound finally came into his sight, they only became worse.

"Anywhere, brother," he sighed, "literally anywhere else."

~~~

The first week of Loki's resistant life at the compound was pretty much as he had expected it to be. The brothers were met with vastly different welcomes; Thor found smiles and hugs from his teammates, whereas Loki found scowls and whispered doubts spoken as he walked past. Thor did his best to reassure the humans and one android that his troublemaking brother had given up his ways and that he could be trusted; if they couldn't trust him, then they could at least rest knowing that Thor would take responsibility for him if anything should happen. The sideways glances and concerns began to cool by the end of those seven days, but the public perception was much harder to change.

The second week on Earth was when Loki would get the chance to meet you; you had been away on a job when the Asgardians arrived, working as the publicist for both Stark Industries and the Avengers. Between the two, you had more work than you needed, so to return home for even a few days was a welcome retreat before you would develop a plan to introduce Loki to the people of Earth, while breaking it to them that he wasn't leaving any time soon.