Isn't it Romantic?

Some Language

It took no convincing at all to get Loki to go to the hospital, despite the basic Midgardian practices of medicine there, when he realized that his wound really was more extensive than he had first believed. It was also a fairly strong selling point when you gave him a look that scared him enough that he wouldn't even consider turning down the help. When he realized that every time you heard even the smallest wince of pain from him and that it elicited a new wave of tears, he put his entire faith in physicians who had to get their medical advice from Thor when they were confused by the alien physiology.

You stayed in the waiting room just outside of the surgery department, waiting for word on either Loki or Natasha, whichever came first. Nat's wounds weren't as difficult to work on, but they were still enough to put her on leave from the team for weeks. Your pride in Loki for saving her from an even worse fate eclipsed your fear for him, which was convenient as ever; Tony was about to make sure that any fear you had left would be given to him instead.

"What in the hell do you think you were doing out there?" he hissed quietly, with a tone laden with rage. "You had no business being in that fight! You are a publicist, not an Avenger, (Y/N)! What if you got in the way and someone innocent paid the price? Hmm? Or what if you died? What then? If that happened, then I think that's on me. I don't need that on my conscience."

"Tony, I'm sorry, but I couldn't-"

"Sorry doesn't cut it."

"I couldn't just stand by and not do something!"

"Yes, you could have! Goddamn right you could have!" he continued, taking a step towards you that made you stand up in kind, pushing yourself back to get more distance. You had never once been afraid of him, but now, with that fire in his eyes and the stranger speaking with his voice, you couldn't be so sure that you were safe with him. "You knew that we were on the way, (Y/N). Don't you trust us anymore? Did you think that we wouldn't do everything we could to protect you both? Is that what you think of me now? That I pick and choose who deserves to be saved? That I wouldn't save your fucking boyfriend?"

"Tony-"

"You could have died!"

"You mentioned that," you answered as your voice cracked. "You're right, and I'm sorry. But Tony, I still ran into it because I didn't care. I had to be there with him."

"But that's the problem, (Y/N), you didn't care. That right there is what could have gotten you killed. Do you think that I go into the fight like it's just another day at the office? Like I don't give a shit one way or the other who makes it out?" Tony stopped with his lips parted and ready to say more but he stayed silent; he shrugged and gave you a dismissive wave, turning away in disgust and frustration that he wasn't getting through. "(Y/N), you need to think about what you could have lost out there. You need to take a minute to think about what I would lose. I actually give a shit about you."

"That's not what was going on," you argued. You were finally beginning to feel the rush of adrenaline you needed, after the battle had drained it all away. If Tony wanted to pick a fight at the worst time possible, you would give him one just to shut him up if nothing else. "Did you maybe stop to consider that I give a shit about you, too? That if I could help, it would be for Loki, yes, but you were there just as deep in the fight and believe it or not, Tony, you can't do it all alone. You're my best friend, and don't you dare think that I don't care about you. God, you can be such an asshole."

Dropping yourself into the chair again, fully indignant and disengaged, you crossed your arms over your chest and closed your eyes to refuse to say any more. Your focus had to be saved for Loki, until you could finally know that he would be okay. Tony would just have to wait. You could hear the cushion flatten in the chair next to you, and you prepared to stay strong in your resolve of silence, but you knew he would break you without much effort.