You Promised

"Hey, Cap?" Tony called out to his teammate, who was on the far side of the jet putting the finishing touches on zipping up his suit and securing his gear. He turned the pilot chair around and waited, watching until he heard the familiar snap of the shield connecting solidly to Steve's back. "I thought you guys dropped Hydra into the Potomac not so long ago?"

"We did," Steve answered cautiously, stepping forward, "why?"

Tony turned again to face out the front of the plane, pointing eagerly at the city before him, and in particular, the tower that was once the team's home not all that long ago. "Because they're trying to knock down my building with (Y/N) and Loki still in it!"

"Are you sure it's Hydra?"

"Steve," Tony sighed, "how many other idiots dressed exactly like that have we taken out in our day? Unless this is just shitty cosplay getting way the hell outta hand, I feel pretty secure that I'm right."

"Hmm, yeah, 'spose you are." Steve furrowed his brow as he formulated a plan of attack, his brain rushing through every option and coming up with the realization that they were seriously understaffed for what they were up against. But, there wasn't much he could do about it now. At least he could count on Loki being on his side for a change, knowing that if he's protecting you, no one would be getting past him. "Okay, Romanoff," he turned to his friend with a definitive nod of his head, "let's get it done right this time."

~~~

Loki stood at one of the large windows overlooking the city, having insisted that you move to a lower level with how the building was shifting under the assault. He stood tall and determined, his hands clasped tightly behind his back as he watched the Hydra agents storming the main door with little success thus far. The explosives were impressive to him however, with their use of weapons powered by energy that he had once wielded; it led him to believe that he could be at an advantage in the fight, and he counted the seconds ticking by as he awaited the team's arrival any minute now.

"Alright, what've we got?" you asked in panting breaths, jogging up behind him and taking position next to him. When he looked down at you all he could do was gasp in shock at what he was seeing. The mission room had a few of Nat's suits still in the closet, along with her gun holsters and a lovely set of katana from Deadpool, given to Steve on his birthday, but left behind at the tower when Bucky refused to let them come back to the compound out of pure regard for everyone's safety.

"(Y/N), there is no way that I will allow you to fight. It's already gone too far that you refuse to listen to reason and leave when Stark arrives. This is the first time that I've felt an anger towards you, and I wish it to be gone because I can't stand it."

"I'm not looking for forgiveness," you answered flatly, watching the scene below, "and I'm way past asking for permission. Don't underestimate me, Loki."

"Have you even once wielded those monstrosities?" he pointed to the weapons on your back. "They are impractical in their size for hand-to-hand battle, and lack precision when engaging an adversary."

"I'm also way past caring about precision."

"Of course you are."

The two of you stood in silence for a moment, enjoying what could be the last of it you would have for the foreseeable future. He was right, you weren't on the team, at least not in this kind of capacity; but you weren't helpless either. Steve and Clint had given you basic training to be able to handle yourself well enough, so when that could be combined with the rage you wore because these bastards interrupted your perfect day with Loki, you might just be of some pretty serious use. But then you really considered what was happening; they were here for him. They would fight their way in until they found him, and you were grossly outnumbered. Your eyes stayed fixed on the group below as they continued to barrage the building, because if you looked up at him now, you might just lose your resolve to not beg him to just run away while he could. You would miss him with every part of yourself, but at least he would be safe.