29- Makeout and Shoutout

Kendall

At lunch time, I consider forgetting about the note from inside my statistics textbook this morning. I don't want to talk to Josh and I don't want to see whatever it is he wants to show me.

I have one foot inside the cafeteria doors when I notice that Josh is not sitting at his normal table with Andrew and som other Juniors from the lacrosse team. Knowing that he must be waiting for me at the bleachers, an overwhelming sense of guilt overcomes me. I can't just leave him there, waiting for me to show up when in fact I'm enjoying lunch with my friends. And I mean, what harm can come from going to the bleachers?

He just wants to show me something. It doesn't mean that I have to forgive him. I turn around and leave the lunchroom, walking in the direction of the back entrance to the school that leads almost directly to the lacrosse fields.

When I exit the school building, I see a person about to leave the bleachers. I can't tell who it is from here, but they're walking away from someone. This someone is following them down the steps to the ground, when they whisper something into the other's ear.

I'm close enough now to tell that the first person I saw is a tall guy with a muscular build and the other is a girl that is nearly as tall as the boy and about twenty pounds too skinny.

I keep walking towards the large metal bleachers and now I am close enough to make out some of their physical features. Speaking of making out, that's what they're doing. The boy, who I have determined has dirty blond hair cut short, has the girl pinned up against the fencing that surrounds the stands. She has a mess of curly blond hair and her shorts are way too short. She slides up the fencing and sits on top, wrapping her long legs around the boy's waist. He places his hand on her back, pushing her towards him and keeping her upright.

As I'm seeing the couple, I pray that this is not what Josh and I look like to other people because, too put it lightly, it makes me want to puke up my breakfast. You can practically see their tongues going inside each other's mouths.

I am now at the base of the steps that lead up to the bottom level of bleachers and this is when I identify the boy. The girl I don't recognize but she does seem oddly familiar.
But the boy, he is all too familiar.

Josh.

I seem to be frozen in place upon identifying him. I can do nothing but stand at the base of the metal structure and stare at what is happening before my eyes. I can feel tears sting at the corners of my eyes and pieces of my heart breaking off from the rest. My brain tells me to run, to go back in to the cafeteria and talk to Destiny, but my limbs won't move. They have been encased in the cement sidewalk.

The girl pulls away from Josh, tugging at the neck of her sweater to cover up her lacy bra straps that have become exposed. She begins to lean back in when a small squeak escapes my throat, causing her to pause and turn her head in my direction.

A flicker of satisfaction glimmers through her green eyes when she asks me, "Are you enjoying the show?"

"Kendall," Josh murmurs, his blue eyes widening.

"Well I need to be getting back to class so I'll see you later Joshy," the girl coos. She drops down from her perch on the fencing and landing with a thump of her feet on the metal. She walks down the few steps and blows a kiss to Josh, still standing on the top step with the deer in the headlights look of a person who has just been caught.

As the girl passes by me, she stops and whispers to me. "He's a great kisser by the way. I totally suggest hooking up with him if I were you." Then she is gone, disappeared into the parking lot.

My legs finally find their mobility again, and I'm off, running in the direction of the school. I can hear Josh's footsteps coming from behind me, but I don't stop. I reach the doors and fling them open. When I enter the building, I find that it is the change of classes, meaning I was outside for thirty minutes. Half of an hour and everything has changed.

"Kendall, it wasn't what it looked like," Josh pleads, grabbing my wrist and spinning me around before I can be sucked in to the sea of students in the hallway.

"Don't be an idiot Josh," I spit. "It was exactly what it looked like. You were making out with some girl right in front of me!"

"Maybe it is what it looked like but it was a mistake. I didn't want to."

"It sure looked like you were having a good time." The tears are flowing down my cheeks at this point and I can tell that I'm talking too loud. People have stopped walking and are just watching the poster child couple that everyone adores and wants to be like fighting right before their eyes.

"I wasn't. Kimmy grabbed me and-"

"Kimmy? You knew her? Who is she?"

"She's one of my mom's coworker's daughters," Josh explains. "But I swear, she just grabbed me and started kissing me and I couldn't get away from her."

"I saw what happened and it was not a one sided thing. You pushed her against the fencing and you were kissing back. I'm not blind. I can see!" I shout. Now everyone in the hallway is silent. They have all stopped moving and are just watching me, watching us. A confused murmur goes through the crowd when they hear this comment, unsure of what is happening.

"No, no, no, no, No! Listen, she grabbed me and pulled me up against her and she started kissing me," Josh yells.

"If you wanted to break up, you could've just said so! You didn't have to tell me to meet you at the bleachers so I could see you suck face with Kimmy!"

"But I don't want to break up. I love you."

"Tell that to Kimmy," I hiss. I shake my arm free from his grasp and start to walk away.

"Kendall, wait!" Josh calls. "Please believe me! I love you and I only want you."

"Then what are you doing with her? Is that the type of girl you want? Because I'm sorry that you wasted two years with me since I'm nothing like her. So go ahead. Have fun. Go make out on the bleachers and lose your virginity in the backseat of your car. Just leave me out of it," I scream from down the hallway.

As I walk towards my next class, I hear the people I pass whisper as I go by. I see the looks of pity on their faces. I feel their eyes on my back.

"What the hell happened? Why are you crying?" Destiny asks when I see her standing by her locker, Rachel and Andrew on her side, smiling and holding hands. They stop when they hear Destiny's questions, turning to face me and their grins being replaced with frowns.

The name Josh is all I manage to say before breaking down in to sobs. Destiny embraces me in a hug and I put my head down on her shoulder, tears soaking through her t-shirt.
Andrew mutters something to Rachel and stalks away angrily. Rachel joins Destiny in hugging me, wrapping her arms around the two of us.

"H-he ch-cheated on m-me," I manage to stammer between cries.

*
*
*
Hello everyone! As you move forward in this book, you may notice some changes and I'm going to explain them here. I am editing this so that it is pure teen fiction and not fanfiction. This is for personal reasons.
Here is a list of the changes being made:
Kendall's last name is now Freed (along with the rest of her family)
Josh's last name is now Thompson (along with the rest of his family)
The name of the high school is no longer Franklin Regional but Lincoln Central High School
My username is no longer chloesproof but discoverhope
Thank you for understanding.
Xoxo,
Sydney