Learning

"This should work." Amy mused as she looked into the mirror to admire her disguise.

She had shaved off her long brown hair to help her blend in, her shirt baggy to hide her chest and her pants baggy as well to make her look like she had bigger legs.

"Here I go." Amy stated, adopting a slightly deeper tone that made her sound more masculine before she marched out the door, only to run into a familiar face.

"A-oh, you're not Amy, sorry." Mark apologized sheepishly, hastily hiding a bouquet of flowers behind his back as his face blushed red in embarrassment.

"Who are you?" Amy asked, pretending to not recognize him so she could keep her cover.

"Oh, uh, my name's Mark." Mark introduced himself meekly, making it hard for Amy not to laugh at his shyness that she found rather adorable.

"You must be her husband." Mark added in a forced cheerful tone, his eyes betraying his disappointment.

"Uh, yes." Amy lied, feeling a pang if guilt when she saw the bouquet of flowers fall from Mark's hand.

"I-uh, of course. I mean, how could she be single when she looks like an angel." Mark sighed as he beat a hasty retreat, stepping on the flowers on his way out.

Amy waited until she was sure he wasn't looking before she picked up the flowers and stuck them in a vase inside, moving from there to go back to the recruitment center.

"Name?" The man at the desk asked in his bored tone as he eyed Amy with an equally bored expression.

"John Nelson." Amy answered, changing the last name to fit her lie she had told Mark.

Thankfully her father's name was John and he looked like she did now, making it easy did her to procure identification for him.

"Looks good." The man remarked before motioning for her to sit down.

After a few minutes of waiting, a doctor called her in for a physical, causing her anxiety to kick in.

Am I going to be found out already? Amy wondered worriedly as she stepped into the doctor's makeshift office.

Alright, I'm just gonna ask you some questions. Any illnesses?" The doctor asked.

Amy shook her head no, the doctor nodding as he scribbled something down onto his notes he was holding.

"Allergies?"

Another no.

"Do you wear glasses?"

Another no.

"Alright, you're good to go then." The doctor declared as she was ushered out of his office.

"You pass?" The man behind the registration desk asked.

Amy nodded as she strode up to the desk with newfound confidence, proud of having made it so far with her new alias.

"Welcome to the army then Mr. Nelson." The man stated, handing Amy a piece of paper.

Amy walked out of the building and read the paper to see that she was to report to the center of town to meet her Sergeant and other volunteers.

"Shit." Amy cursed as she spotted Mark in the crowd that was standing around a man dressed in uniform.

Amy hid in the back and listened close to what the man was saying.

"My name is Sergeant McLoughlin, and I'll be helping all you young lads survive this hell." The man announced, earning cheers from the crowd.

"But for tonight, get your rest at home and say your goodbyes before we sail out tomorrow at thirteen hundred!" Sergeant McLoughlin barked, sending those gathered around him scattering back home.

With no one to say goodbye to, Amy went home to practice her mannerisms and speech, hoping that she could somehow pull off being a man for so long.

"Once this is stupid war is done, I'll fix what I've broken between Mark and I." Amy decided as she sauntered a doss her room.

If we're both alive by the end of it at least.