Chapter 3

"What would you like?" Harry asked, holding the door open for me.

We walked into the Starbucks and immediately the sweet aroma of coffee filled my nostrils.

"Hmm just a mocha latte, please." I replied, glancing around at the few other people in there.

Every pair of eyes were on us, making me feel self-conscious. Harry didn't seem to notice though as he smiled down at me. I hadn't noticed how tall he was until that moment, his large frame towering over my small one.

He nodded. "I'll be right back. Don't ditch me, ok?"

"I make no promises." I joked, poking his arm. His smile dropped an inch.

"Wouldn't be the first time it's happened." He muttered before walking away quickly to order the drinks.

I seated myself on an old, black leathered couch in the middle of the coffee shop and looked out the large window facing the street. People walked by, happily talking to friends, family or their cell phones without a single care in the world. I envied them. It wasn't fair that I had to carry the burdens of my family when they didn't.

Turning my head away, I chose to look at Harry instead. The girl at the cash register couldn't have been more obvious, the way she was twirling her hair around her finger and giggling. Honestly, it made me want to yank out one of her obvious hair extensions.

He paid no extra attention to her though as he handed her a bill and walked towards me. I couldn't help the smile that formed on my face when the girl glared at me behind his back.

With his white short sleeved shirt, I was able to stare at the tattoos scattered across his arms. I longed to touch them and ask what they symbolized.

"Hi." Harry sat on the couch across from me, only a few feet away.

"Hey." I replied back awkwardly, waving my hand slightly.

We stared at each other for a moment before bursting out laughing. I noticed the way his eyes closed and his nose scrunched up. He didn't look like the guy I had met in jail the night before, dark and mysterious, but instead carefree, happy.

"Sorry. I just didn't know what to say." He scratched the back of his neck as his cheek turned pink.

"It's ok. I'm the one making this awkward. I'm not used to....this going out in public thing." I said, instantly regretting it.

I started to fiddle with the strap of my purse. Now he probably thinks I'm weird.

"Me neither." He grinned. Relief washed over me.

"So Rose," I loved the way he slowly dragged out the s, "I have a question I've been dying to ask you since last night."

"Shoot."

"What were you protesting for?" He tried to keep a serious face, but couldn't hide the smile that was forcing it's way onto his lips.

I groaned making him laugh again. He was eventually cut off by the loud sound of the blenders mixing our drinks.

"For animal abuse, ok? Can we not talk about this anymore?" I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

"Well then what do you want to talk about?" He asked, wearing an amused expression.

"You." I shrugged.

"Well what do you want to know?"

I thought for a moment. "Where are you from?"

"You're not gonna let that one go, are you?" He grinned.

I shook my head and smiled back. "You never answered me the first time."