2

The next day for Frank continued as a normal day would go.

Unfortunately, he couldn't stop thinking about the secret agent he met yesterday - the strangest encounter in his office to date.

Frank watched the hallways for the entire morning, prompting Dave to say, "You alright, man?" to which he replied to with a nod and a half-hearted response. What was wrong with him? He couldn't let the agent's cryptic last words occupy his mind. Frank let out a breath and copied more documents on his computer, hitting each of the keys with vengeance. You'll see.

In the following days, Frank went as far to ask the secretary about the secret agent. The interaction went as expected.

"Hello, sir." She had greeted him without looking up. "What can I do for you?"

"Hey, Marlene," Frank said. He only ever had about five interactions with the elderly secretary for the two years he had worked here. "Do you remember who was here on Monday? Like, the guy with black hair you were talking to?"

"I've seen a lot of guys with black hair, sir," she replied pointedly, glancing over her glasses at him.

"Yeah, but on Monday morning. Do you remember what he said?"

Marlene held his gaze, betraying nothing. "No."

That had been unconvincing. Marlene was good at lying - that he knew - but she clearly knew who Frank was talking about. That in itself showed the agent was someone important - and there was no way she had forgotten what someone important had said.

***

When Frank got home on Friday, he found Amy cooking dinner.

"Hey! What are you making?" Frank shouted over the pop punk music Amy had on and the sizzle of something in the frying pan.

"Stir fry!" She yelled back.

Awesome. Most of that was vegetarian. Frank passed the kitchen and went upstairs to change out of his suit and into something he liked better, which ended up being an old band t-shirt and ripped jeans. He ran in hand through his hair and scratched the red japanese sun tattoo on his left arm. It was a goddamn blessing the dress code was a long-sleeved suit, or Frank would have never gotten his job. It wasn't only his arms that were done - he had tattoos over his chest and back too. The only job-stopper he had so far was the scorpion.

Frank returned to the kitchen as Amy put their plates down onto the small wooden table. He would have to repay her somehow - maybe he'd make dinner tomorrow night. Usually he picked up takeout on on the way home.

"How've you been?" Frank asked, sitting down.

"Well... it was a normal day at work, if that's what you mean." Amy worked at a cafe a short walk from their place. Frank motioned for her to continue.

"And - well - I met someone," she finished, grinning.

"You did? Man, I thought you'd be alone forever!" Frank laughed as Amy swiped her fork towards him. "But really, that's awesome."

The next ten minutes was spent talking about the girl Amy met in the cafe. Frank tried to convince her to ask her out Monday - "Now or never, my friend" - and Amy insisted she wait at least a week - "I don't even know if she likes me, Frank, come on."

They ate in silence for a while.

"So how are you?" Amy leaned back. "Meet anyone?" She followed up slyly.

Frank sighed and put down his fork. "Well, actually, there was this man. And I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but..."

"So a creepy guy followed you, asked for your name, and told you he works for the government?"