Chapter One - One Bad Day

One bad day is all it takes to change someone's life. One minute you're 16 years old, the next your enter life goes up in flames. My name's Daniel (Danny) James Fenton, and my life just went up in flames.

The day started off like any other, the sun was shining bright, the birds were singing and not a cloud in sight. I was heading home from school and was walking with my friends Sam and Tucker.

Earlier that day my dad, Jack Fenton had forgotten to empty the Ecto-filter on the ghost portal, which does not work by the way. You may think "oh that's no big deal he probably does that all the time," it was true that he did in fact constantly forget to empty it, but due to that something horrible was going to happen.

Sam, Tucker and I walked into my house where we were greeted by my sister, Jazz, and my parents, Jack and Maddie Fenton. Mom had a plate of hot cookies on the table, the cookies in question had a dim green glow to them as if they had been in contact with nuclear waste. It was ectoplasm by the way. One look at the cookies Sam, Tucker and I were all put off eating. The three of us decided to head upstairs and play some video games and maybe a little bit of homework. The latter was unlikely though.

It had been about two hours since we had gone upstairs everything was normal, but yet something felt off.
"Dinners ready, come and get it!" Yelled my mother. Sam and Tucker scramble out the door and down the stairs. But I stayed still. Something was very wrong, but I didn't know what. Suddenly there was an ear-splitting bang that came from the basement. That when I heard it my sisters scream. Another load boom, this time it shook the enter house. My sister's scream was joined by my mother's then Tucker's, then Sam's and finally my fathers. What was going on? The roof above me gave way and collapsed on me, black dots started appearing in my vision. I can't let them get hurt, I can't let them die. Was the last thing I thought before I was knocked out cold.

___________________________
Three days later.
___________________________

Everything was black like someone had turned out the lights. That's when I realise that my eyes were shut. Wow Danny, captain obvious much. For some reason, I don't want to open them. Suddenly I realise that I can hear beeping that sounds like a heart monitor. That when it hits me I'm in a hospital. Why am I in a hospital? I tried to remember what happened but I can't. I can't remember anything after I felt school at 3:15. I bring myself to open my eyes. My eyes slowly flutter open but due to my eyes not being adjusted to the bright light of the hospital room I was temporarily blinded. Everything came back into focus. I was in one of those plain hospital rooms that had a window with blinds that shows the hospital corridor. There's a little tube sticking into my arm that leads to a bag that contains the clear liquid. I think it's an ivy drip, but I'm not sure. I try to sit up but as soon as I do the hospital room door opens. In steps a random nurse and my uncle Chris. Wait what, my uncle Chris!? He lives all the way in California. "Daniel your finally awake." The nurse says with relief written all over her face. Chris is silent.

"What happened and uncle Chris what are you doing here?" I ask confused as to why my family isn't here.
"Do you remember what happened?" Chris asked with his usually serious face.
"No why what happened and where's my family?" I start to panic did something bad happen? are they okay? are they hurt? Are they dead?
The nurse and Chris look at each other than look back at me. "There was an accident," the nurse said. "Your family are all gone as well as your two friends Sam and Tucker." She says sadly. I couldn't breathe, everyone I cared about are gone. I just sat there not moving, just still. Tears start to stream down my face.
"I'll leave you two in peace, and sorry for your loss." The nurse says as she leaves the hospital room. So now it's just me and my uncle.
"I know this is sudden, I know what it's like to lose everyone too," Chris says I look over at him tears spilling out of my eyes. " I lost my wife, my daughter and my sister," Chris says. I knew that I was at aunt Veronica's funeral as well as Alison's, I also heard from Kate on the news. Chris walks over and sits in the chair beside my bed.
"Do you know what happened?" I ask trying to hold back sobs.
"It's still under investigation, so far the theory is that it was a gas explosion." I just nod and sit with tears running down my face.
"Where am I gonna go?" Danny asked trying not to burst out into a fit of sobs.
"Well, I was going to take you in," Chris says, I look up at him and smile, even though we weren't related by blood he was still my uncle which made his family and we both seem to need a family right now.
"I'd like that," I say quietly.