11

Anya stepped inside the car trailer when Noah exited in his costume. They had to park it by the main roadside since there was a vehicle prohibition in the park. Taylor followed her, setting their bags and water flasks on a couch.

The middle-aged beautician kept her make-up simple and styled her hair into loose, large curls. Then, she pulled a long-pleated dress from a built-in closet. It has a round neckline, short bell sleeves, and small white and yellow florals all over the black fabric.

"Don't be long," she ordered before leaving.

Rolling her eyes and holding the hanger with two fingers, Anya complained, "A freaking dress that doesn't even have long sleeves. It's like twelve degrees Celsius out there."

"Margaret is quite serious about the autumn romantic thing," Taylor reassured. "I'll carry your coat with me. You can wear it between the takes."

Anya changed into the dress, wore the minimal golden earrings and necklace kept on the table and stepped out. She missed the warmth despite the bright sunshine in the sky. Wearing her coat, they walked down the long, winding trail leading to the pond.

It is her first outdoor shoot – meaning her mistakes will be open to the public's prying eyes. They haven't noticed anyone who is not part of the filming crew so far. It's still ten a.m. Residents or employees in nearby workplaces during lunchtime may come by later.

Open grass, giant redwoods and a coniferous woodland surrounded the pond. Scattering yellow leaves adorned the ground beneath the trees. A breeze blew some of the dead leaves onto the trails, crunching beneath the soles of their shoes. They walked by the reeds and water plants covered-pond.

Margaret's employees set the food on the picnic blanket beneath a tree covered in yellow leaves. One or two often dropped on them. They didn't mind. The leaves must be an unpaid character in this short romantic shoot.

Noah conversed with the man holding the drone controller, discussing scenic routes, epic road trips, countryside tucked away in quiet valleys, hills, forts, and meadows. They were choosing peacefulness over the cacophonous cities.

Ten minutes later, the young director with tattooed hands and neck instructed them.

Sit on the blanket, smile at each other, cut the waffles or take a bite, pour tea into the china tea cups, and pretend they are having a real picnic.

"Forget that there's a camera filming you, okay. I need genuine reactions. Have a real picnic, have a conversation, have a blast. Be natural. Don't worry about your looks or facial expressions. Editors will take care of all that. Have fun. It's a real picnic, remember."

Once he walked away from them, Anya exclaimed, "I can't tell if this is better or worse."

"He said to have fun. Let's do it."

Anya sat on her knees, palms flat on her thighs. The camera has already started rolling. A leaf dropped near her foot, causing a shiver to run down her spine. Noah grabbed the matching teapot and poured a cup of tea. Smiling, he handed her the cup.

"Steam is coming out. Be careful," he mumbled.

"What do I do with it?" She mumbled back, taking it from him.

Another shiver coursed through her body when their hands touched. She brought the cup to her mouth, blew air twice and touched her lips with the rim. One or two drops must have gone into her mouth before she put the cup down.

Editors will take this part out. They can't afford to show that steaming tea is burning their model's mouth.

As for the waffles, Noah used a knife and fork. He leaned a little to bring it close to her mouth. When her lips parted, he pulled it away, smiling.