Chapter Eighteen: Behind the Arras

Columbine stood sharply, pushing back her chair with her calves.

‘Where are you going?’ said Bellina. ‘Don’t make a scene.’

The girl from Vellion ignored her; she was already on her way to confront Merlin and Lady Helen, to find out what they had plotted against her. She strode towards the high table, sweeping past Sir Breuse and Sir Garlon.

‘You two,’ she barked as she went. ‘Yes, you two.’

Merlin and the Lady of Slates turned towards her. The wizard was hunched over the table, his oily eyes swirling the colour of sparks. The blood-witch was red in the face from too much drink, she had a lazy languor in her eyes.

‘What are you two plotting, eh?’

She was passing the astonished king and queen when someone roughly grabbed her wrist and spun her round. Columbine found herself bound by Sir Garlon’s strong arms, and though she struggled, she could not release herself.

King Pellam stared at her furiously. It was fine for knights to be as rowdy as they pleased, but it was another thing for a woman to cause a stir. The great hall fell nearly silent as the assembly turned to see what the king would do to the impertinent young woman in the scarlet dress.

‘My apologies, your majesty,’ said Sir Garlon, getting in before the king could say anything. ‘I fear she is unused to strong drink. I take full responsibility.’

Merlin broke into a delighted grin as he watched the scene play out. The king did not look at all pleased. He consulted the food still left on his fingers, as if he would find his response there.

‘Control your woman, Sir Garlon,’ King Pellam said gravely.

‘I will, your majesty,’ said Garlon, as he dragged Columbine away from the high table.

‘She has quite a temper on her, Garlon,’ said Sir Breuse as they passed him. ‘You might want to beat that out of her before you take her to wife.’

Sir Garlon laughed politely at the Marble knight’s jest, and continued down the side of the great hall, towards the main door.

‘That unpleasantness brings our feast to its close,’ Columbine heard King Pellam announce. ‘Join us shortly, for the traditional presentation of the champion of the lower lists, and the eve of tourney dancing.’

They reached the exit, where Sir Bagdamegus was giving the servants their instructions for clearing the hall for dancing, and brushed past them into the grand foyer.

As soon as they were out of sight Sir Garlon threw Columbine against a wall. She tried to launch herself back at his face, but couldn’t get purchase with her unfamiliar shoes. He raised his fist, and she held herself back.

‘What do you think you’re doing, girl?’ he hissed. ‘You’ll ruin everything.’ He grabbed her bare arm. ‘Come with me.’

‘Where are you taking me?’

‘I’m doing as I promised,’ said the knight Invisible. ‘I’m going to prove that I did not murder Lily of Vellion.’

Columbine gave up her struggle. There was no way she could tear her hand away from Garlon’s strong grip; she would have to trick him into releasing her.

‘You make it more difficult,’ said Sir Garlon. ‘Now that she’s noticed you we’ll have to hide you away.’

‘Who?’ said Columbine angrily. ‘The lady of the Slates?’

Sir Garlon sighed. ‘What would lady Helen know of your cousin’s murder? I mean the lady Neave of the lake.’

He led her up several flights of stairs, and down more than one passageway until they came to a finely carved door.