Four - Distress Call

*Quick note: I decided to post a small prequel of sorts to this story featuring my OCs to give you some context. I haven't cut the awesome entrance for the Guardians from 'Infinity War', I just moved it to there, so you might want to quickly go read the short 'Guardians Vol. 2' chapter in 'Before Infinity' before reading this chapter to set the scene (sorry, it was a last-minute decision, I should really outline my stories before writing, haha!) Thanks and enjoy!*

Space

The Milano and crew soared through the skies, music filling the ship as usual as they followed the distress signal

The Milano and crew soared through the skies, music filling the ship as usual as they followed the distress signal. This time, however, no one was singing and dancing.

"Peter, will you please turn off the music," Gamora finally requested.

"Yeah, I'm feeling that too." Peter flicked off the music. "I was just trying to, you know, lighten the mood..."

The group sat in unusual silence. Everyone was still pretty shaken up about hearing of Xandar's fall. It was so sudden, so unexpected.

"Okay Guardians, we're coming up on our target," Quill announced some long, silent minutes later, breaking the strange silence. "Remember, this might be dangerous so let's put on our mean faces."

Before anyone could say anything else, they reached their location.

"My God-" Quill mumbled.

"What happened here?" piped up Mantis. "Are all these people - dead?"

The whole area surrounding them was littered with dead bodies, floating in space, along with debris of what must have been their ship.

Gamora and Envy exchanged a knowing glance - Thanos. The sisters had begun to suspect as much concerning the fall of Xandar as well.

"Yikes," muttered Rocket. Drax was alert as ever. Even Groot looked up from his game.

Crash! Suddenly, one of the bodies floated forward and struck their ship, landing on the windshield. It was a man in battle armour.

"Ah!"

"Get it off!"

Before anyone could do anything, another body, that of a young woman, came and landed on the man's body, pressing him further against the window.

"Ahh!"

"Somebody do something!"

One of the supposedly-dead man's eyes slid open.

"AHHH!"

Minutes later, they had stopped the ship and brought both bodies aboard. Rocket sniffed them.

Mantis, who had a hand resting on each of their foreheads, gasped. "They are not dead!"

"What? How could they still be alive?"