"Firsts"

Like most other nannies, they understand what I'm talking about. This occupation holds a lot of firsts people don't think to tell you about. They happen unexpectedly that if you blink you might miss them. The most prized possessions are when your child says their first words. Every parent rejoices with "oohs" and "aahs" over one of the biggest milestones in a child's life. As they grow older they continue to surprise us with more frequent "firsts". My personal favorite milestone is when a child uses the restroom by themselves for the very first time. We praise them with treats when they no longer need their diapers. We give them dessert when they eat all of their vegetables. We leap for joy finally ride a bicycle by themselves without training wheels or us to push them from behind. Once they're older, we sometimes forget about these "firsts" that made us so excited as their parents or caretakers.  We can never take them for granted. Our children are not only our legacy but they are our pride of the family. When they accomplish something, We are overwhelmed because We are reminded that we are raising them right. The greatest accomplishment of the parent is that their child is raised correctly. You'll never truly know the reward until they have grown up. As a nanny, it is my duty to lead the child along in the same way that the parent would. Parents and nanny share accomplishments and revel in these moments of "firsts" for the kids we take care of.  Unintentionally they look to us as their role models, as their leaders. It is our job to bring them to victory, not just to bring them to the battle. Although our desire is not for them to face many battles in life, it is inevitable That they will be challenged. And although they may feel alone at the time, we can only hope that they remember our stories from our own battles. Kids give us life. It's more than exciting to see a kid meet their own goals, and especially the goals we have set for them (like cleaning their rooms without asking, ha!). Don't lose your minds when I use the words "our children". I fully understand that I am in no way that child's parent, but as beautiful as life would have it, we now share this child's gift that is life. Their smiles, their giggles that bubble over. Now that this is clear, we have a responsibility. Who will remind our children of their "firsts"? Who will be the one to remind them that they are not failures, but that they just have to keep trying. It's our duty to help them trust themselves. Ultimately, the gain from this not only adds to our pride but teaches our kids an important lesson: independence.