9

After my class that following Monday, I went straight to my husband's office to spend time with him.

Honestly, I felt a sting of surprise when I saw Trey sitting across from him, in the same seat I occupied a million times. I knew that I'd have to get used to seeing him, and I knew that I promised Nash to attempt to get along with him. So, I would. What did I have to lose anyway?

"How was your day?" David asked me with a brilliant smile on his face. Trey gazed up as well from the papers in front of him to acknowledge me. I swallowed, taking off my backpack.

"Done with my first class. I wanted to see you, but if you guys are busy, it's fine. I can head to the library with Lucas and Jon."

"I'm not too busy. I'm just trying to revise this test review for my classes."

I smiled. "I remember your tests. The first one was always the hardest, according to you."

"And you aced it with a 96. I remember too."

"Your memory is strong. That makes me glad." I bit my lip, keeping my happiness at bay. I looked at Trey who hadn't said a word, shockingly. "And how has your day been? You seem to have a very open schedule." I pulled my laptop from my bag and went to sit on the office couch.

"I'm only taking twelve hours so I could be a T.A. Also, I did your husband a favor."

I raised my eyebrows, glancing at David in confusion. "Oh really? Must explain why you're all smiles; what happened?"

"Well, my mailbox was empty this morning, which is a first."

I nodded. "Yeah, it's usually filled with those stupid love letters that the department is yet to do anything about. I should go talk to them again."

"No need. Trey found the culprit."

My eyes widened. "You're kidding..."

"I mean, it wasn't difficult," Trey murmured as if it were no big deal.

"This has been plaguing us for months."

"It only took installing a camera. Seriously, not hard."

"It was a group of girls who used to be in my class last year, when you were in it," David explained. "They've been reported."

"They had it coming," I said unsympathetically, opening my laptop. I sighed, tightening my lips when my husband gave me a look. I shook my head very subtly and scowled, communicating to him that I didn't want to, but he scolded me with only his eyes. I grunted, looking away hesitantly.

"Thank you, Trey," I appreciated clearly enough for him to hear my sincerity. "We really needed them to stop, so... thanks."

"Yeah, whatever," he muttered, keeping his focus on the papers in front of him. I squinted, playfully glaring at my husband as he tried to contain his laughter. I just rolled my eyes and turned on my computer, none of us saying another word after that.

Well, maybe Nash was right. Maybe I could co-exist with Trey, but become friends? I doubted it.

**

"Okay, okay! I want you to read mine first!" I exclaimed, waving my letter in David's face. We were sitting on the grass in the sunset sky, burying our time capsule at the largest tree on the family landhouse property. I had tied a white ribbon around its bark so we could know exactly where we'd buried our capsule in ten or more years.

"I'm so ready for this," he answered, gently taking the letter from me. "Is it cheesy? You know I love cheese."

I giggled. "Parmesan and swiss, all for you."