Non-binary genders

"Non-binary" is an umbrella term used to describe a person who doesn't feel like belonging to the binary system of genders and/or who refuses cisnormativity even if they are comfortable with their own body/genitalia. They can also be called gender queers (see chapter "Q for Queer").

With this term also come the two others: AMAB and AFAB and a non-binary person can also transition and become a non-binary transgender. But as said in a previous chapter (see chapter "T for Transgender"), NB people (short for non-binary though this abbreviation is often said to be claimed by non-black people of color) are transgender as they do not identify as the gender they were assigned at birth.

Amongst the different sub-groups of non-binary people you can, for example, find:
- Bigender/Trigender/Polygender people who identify as two or more genders at once.
- Agender people who do not identify as any of the known genders.
- Neutrois/Neutral people who simply identify as a gender that is not male or female but not agender.
- Genderfluid people whose gender identity fluctuates between two more genders (i.e. a gender that fluctuates between male, female, M/F bigender and agender) but not at the same time.
- Genderflex people whose gender identity is flexible and who feel like having two or more genders at once, but not at the same level (that level can vary [i.e. feeling 30% female and 70% male and one moment and 10% male and 90% female at another]).

Just like transgender persons, non-binaries can experience dysphoria (see chapter "Dysphoria") and they often tend to look androgynous because they either want to physically erase the signs of belonging to any gender or because the term "androgyny" is associated with a blend of what are socially defined as masculine and feminine traits (see chapter "Social definition of genders"). Some NB can even go through surgery and/or hormone treatment to look more androgynous without fully transitioning.

However, some non-binary people feel completely fine with their body/genitalia and do not wish to transition in anyway or change their looks. But just because someone looks "100 % male" or "100% female" does not make them any less non-binary. Being non-binary is considered more as a "psychological" and personal gender than a "physical" and social one.

A lot of non-binary people choose to be referred to by the pronouns "They"/"Them"/"Their" and some also choose to change their given name to a neutral/unisex one (i.e. Sasha, Alex, Rowan, Andy, Sam, etc.) (see chapter "Misgendering and deadnaming").

Unfortunately, not every languages offer a neutral pronoun like "They". Non-binary people might then want to test out different pronouns and/or names to see which one they are the most comfortable with.

Thus, you can see some NB people being called by:
- Their birth pronouns (because they don't mind or are used to it)
- The opposite pronouns of their given gender (because they don't mind or they chose to)
- Both of the pronouns, even in a same sentence (because they don't mind or switch pronouns depending on their mood).

Non-binary people are often invalidated by cis and even trans people. But they are a whole community and have their own flag and signs (+ the white stripe on the transgender flag). Please voice your support to the non-binary community, even more if you are trans, unless you are a "truscum" (see chapter "Dysphoria").

Know also that gender never defines you sexuality and thus non-binary people are not excluded from the sexuality system. Though it might be confusing for some of them to describe a sexuality without referring to a gender, they are completely allowed to see themselves as straight, gay, pan or bi. This means their sexual attraction is defined based on their genitalia, not on their gender.

If you have questions about this gender identity that is also mine, feel free to ask me, I'll do my best to explain.