Chapter 9 - Mipha's Love

Summary: Link returns to Zora's Domain for the last time. He finally expresses his feelings,  giving Mipha the courage to offer Link the Zora Armor.

After Zelda and I returned to Hyrule Castle, I was prepared to make my way to the room set aside for my use there when Zelda spoke up.

"Link, I will not need your company for several days," said Zelda. "I need to prepare before I begin my journey to the Spring of Wisdom. Why don't you take a few days off?"

I thanked her, then left. I hadn't seen Mipha in a while, and this would be an excellent opportunity to get away on my own. I sent a message to Mipha that I had some time off from guarding Princess Zelda, and I would like to visit her if I could. A Rito returned with a message back that she was looking forward to my visit. I knew the pressures of my responsibility continued to affect me. My fellow guardsmen told me I was quieter and distracted looking, unable to pay attention. I hoped some time alone with Mipha might help that.

As was true of many places in Hyrule these days, the road to Zora's Domain had become more dangerous. There were quite a few Lizalfos reported in the area, all armed with shock arrows. Those could prove fatal to Zoras whose main weakness was electricity. I kept on my guard and cut down a few Lizalfos on the way to the Domain, but one caught me by surprise, and its shock arrow gave me a nasty cut and burn on the right arm. The wound stung, but I was able to bring down my enemy with a well-placed arrow of my own.

When I got to Zora's Domain, it was late afternoon. I went straight to one of the guards and asked if I could see Lady Mipha. They told me Lady Mipha was busy training at Vah Ruta out on East Reservoir Lake. I knew my way there and was soon climbing the steps to the pier. I couldn't see her anywhere, so I assumed Mipha must be inside Vah Ruta. My arm still ached, but I could swim, so I swam out to Vah Ruta and up to the entrance.

"Mipha, are you there?" I yelled. I could hear my voice echoing inside the cavernous chambers of the gigantic Divine Beast.

"Link, is that you?" said Mipha. "Meet me by Ruta's trunk, and I will lower it."

She lowered the trunk, and I joined her there. Then she raised the trunk back up, and we sat down together. The view was breathtaking as the sun began to set.

"Link, I'm so glad to see you," said Mipha.

Then she saw my arm.

"You're hurt! What happened?"

She started healing it before I could even answer.

"I got careless with a Lizalfos and got an arrow across the arm," I said.

She shook her head and continued to concentrate on healing me. In a few minutes, the arm was as good as new. Then she started expressing her worry about Ganon and how little we knew about what to expect but promised me she would always be there for me if I were injured. Her mention of Ganon only reminded me of my responsibilities, and I started to get distracted. Then she looked at me, her soft golden eyes reflecting the glow of the sunset. She said she hoped we could spend more time together when all this was over. I looked back at her. She looked so beautiful. I wanted nothing more than to do that as well.

"I would like that, too," I said. I was feeling tired after the journey and lack of sleep.

"I've been worried about you," said Mipha. "You're so distracted when you're here as if you carry the cares of all Hyrule on your shoulders."

"You couldn't have said it better," I said. "That's because I do carry them. Ever since I was chosen by the sword to be the hero, I have felt the need to focus on nothing else but preparing for my final battle. And guarding Princess Zelda has only caused additional stress. Whenever Zelda and I travel together, I need to be vigilant day and night. Recent monster attacks have only gotten worse."