Volume 3: Chapter 18: Daily Life of Ren Karatengu (Part 2)

Jou clan is no more.

The mighty clan my brother managed to revive despite other frost wolf demons perishing, we were the last two frost wolf type demons left.

But back then, he smiled confidently and told me "I will revive this clan, our family, and I will make it rise to the highest of heights. Because we are the strong."

I believed him.

As his only living relative, I acted as his right hand and his closest confidant. My brother, Korkau Jou had marvelous ambitions. He wanted to rise higher than any demon, even higher than the Demon King.

When our village burned down to the ashes as our rival clans united together to destroy the members of the Jou clan, my brother and I were the last ones, the only two Frost wolf type demons left. But even then, his eyes were full of calm confidence. I knew that everything would be all right as long as he is alive.

In order to protect the clan he made out of any demon that joined us, I became strong as well, second only to elder brother.

I killed anyone who stood in our way, each time becoming stronger and stronger....

My brother grew in power; he finally managed to become a bronze rank demon, his mana capacity and physical abilities blooming, he was confident that with support, even the Demon King Akil Ras, weakened from old age, was no match for him.

But then, elder brother was beaten, crippled and taken prisoner. Jou clan that he so painstakingly put together, trained, and nourished...was completely destroyed. Many ran fearing Demon King's retribution. The few that stayed were killed as our enemies chose to attack when our leader was not present.

In the end, the only one left was me, Karli Jou.

I searched for my brother but no matter where I looked I could never find him.

Then that bastard, Nar Kas, told me that my brother was dead, all because of one demon.

That demon's name was Ren, Ren Tengu. He was the one who took away my brother.

Blinded by rage, I attacked him as soon as he set off for the first trial, but I was beaten and left for dead.

Somehow I managed to finish the trial.

After a while, I got a letter from Nar Kas telling me that he captured Ren Tengu, and that he will leave his fate in my hands.

But as soon as I arrived, I saw the Tengu clan members exiting the Kas clan territory, with Kas clan's domain completely obliterated, their forces fleeing in fear, their leader, rendered hornless, bound, shackled and put in a cage, while he was spasming unconsciously. It was a sad end, even for someone like Nar Kas.

But then, I sensed a familiar presence, as I thought, it was my brother.

But instead of the confident demon I knew, he was a broken husk, his powers weakened to the point that he no longer was a bronze rank demon but a level lower Iron rank. His body was emaciated, but his spirit was even more so.

He told me that Nar Kas was lying to me in order to manipulate me.

And then, out of nowhere, he tells me that he swore loyalty to the very demon who struck him down, Ren Karatengu. I couldn't believe it, he was calling him Master, my brother; the proud and mighty Korkau Jou was bowing his head to him.

I couldn't accept it.

For the sake of my brother's safety, I agreed to join Tengu clan alongside him, but I made sure that if my brother's life was in peril by Ren Karatengu's hand, then I would not be bound by contract.