Your Last Show

It was the final show. You had done so many, and it felt strange that it was all coming to an end. During some of the shows, you were exhausted and didn't want to perform the same songs over and over again.

But now that it was your last one, you felt like you might burst into tears. You would miss everyone. The cast had become your family. You were going to give this performance 110%.

You had totally forgotten about the weird encounter with Oak, Daveed, and Leslie. You forgot that Lin was most likely a part of it. So what he did caught you by surprise.

Lin had said that he was going to slow down the music in "Helpless" between the lyrics "I'm just saying, if you really loved me, you should share him. Ha!" and "Two weeks later, in the living room stress'n..." for a very vague reason that he wouldn't go into. He just said that it would make the moment more romantic.

Lin looked even more nervous than usual before the show started. Usually, he was pretty chill, and just needed you to calm a few of his nerves, then was good to go. But tonight, he was messing with his fingers, mumbling what sounded like his lines under his breath, and pacing back and forth.

"Hey, Lin, it's going to be okay. You've done this like a hundred times before," you say, setting your hand on his arm gently.

He turns to you, worry still shining in his eyes. "Um, yeah. I guess I'm just nervous since I switched the blocking in 'Helpless' last minute. Was that a dumb thing to do?"

"No, Lin, of course not." You put your hands on the sides on his face. "You made this show. You know what's best for it. If that's what needed to be done, then it's good you did it. Plus, it's the last show. You're finishing off strong."

He smiles, then pulls your hands off his face and holds them in his. "I love you."

You smile back. "I love you too."

Lin kisses you and doesn't stop until he hears Aaron singing his opening lines, then slowly pulls away.

"Break a leg, Lin," you say, still grinning.

Confidence breaks through his anxious exterior. "You too."

The show goes very smoothly. Everyone was putting all their effort into the show, and you could really feel the extra energy onstage.

But you almost started crying during "Schuyler Sisters" when you, Renee, and Jasmine all looked at each other and smiled. You would really miss them. They had started to feel like they were your real sisters.

You smile through "Farmer Refuted" and "You'll Be Back", and lip synch along with "Right Hand Man".

Then, it was time for "Helpless".

Near the end of "A Winter's Ball", Renee and Daveed come over to you while you're waiting off stage.

"Hey, Y/N," Daveed whispers.

"Hey," you reply, going over your lines in your head.

"You know how to go along with things that happen on stage, right?" , Renee asks. "For example, if someone did blocking or something that was off-script?"

"...Yeah?"

"And, sometimes, don't you think people put their real emotions into songs and lines?", Daveed asks.

"I guess? Guys, what's-"

"That's your cue. Go!"

You hurry onstage, still very confused. "Oh, I do I do I do I do! Hey!"

It might've just been the energy from the last show, or it might've been the fact that Anthony and Jasmine finally got together, but during this performance of 'Helpless', everyone seemed a lot more excited and energetic.