chapter fifteen

Prom seemed like a distant memory to Alec; it was an event that he had been looking forward to for the whole of senior year and now that it was finally here it seemed strange. Time had flew this year. He and Magnus were meeting soon to put up the decorations, then go back to Alec's to change.

Alec already knew that his parents were going to be embarrassing about the entire situation and want photos of Alec and Magnus together, as well as photos of Jace and Isabelle. The photos would probably be spread all over Facebook to other parents, and they would all gush about how great they all looked. Alec understood that it was exciting for his parents, but they hadn't stopped talking about it.

As soon as Alec got home from school on the day when Magnus had came out, he told his parents everything that had happened, and how him and Magnus were together now. Alec felt blessed that he had such a close relationship with his parents, as they were so supportive of his decisions. They were thrilled that Alec finally had a boyfriend.

It was only a few hours until the prom started, Alec heading out to meet Magnus at the school to put up the decorations. His friends were doing their part too, assigned with their partners. It felt as though Alec and Magnus had spent forever on their decorations, but they turned out well and both of them were proud of their work.

The two of them put up the decorations lightheartedly, Alec deciding that when they were done that Magnus should go home. Magnus asked why in confusion, as he thought that they were meant to be going back to Alec's to get changed.

 "I think that you should pick me up, traditionally. Maybe you could get me some flowers or shake my mom's hand, I don't know." Alec said sarcastically, although was being serious with his desire to get picked up for prom. Magnus told him that tradition was for racists and homophobes with a laugh, to which Alec denied.

Alec said, "If I want to get picked up by a hot guy on prom night like every other girl in our school, then so I shall. I was serious about the flowers, though. The ones I have in my room at the moment are dying." Magnus agreed with a smile, accepting the compliment, understanding the importance of prom to Alec. He had probably planned this for a long time.

Magnus and Alec parted ways, agreeing on a time that Magnus would come over. Magnus felt more nervous now that he knew he was picking Alec up, overthinking every step he took. He wondered if Alec was joking about the flowers, and if he even had time to buy any. He didn't know what type Alec liked, or how much he should spend on them.

Thoughts whirred through Magnus' brain at a fast pace, Magnus deciding to ditch the flower idea and actually get ready. He knew that he couldn't do much apart from smell nice and style his hair in a way that looked prom-presentable, yet it would still take him a long time. He would stare at himself for a while and wonder if he should just bury himself ten feet underground.

Magnus' mother dropped him off to Alec's house, noticing how nervous he was, as Magnus kept rubbing his palms on his knees and breathing heavily. "Stop stressing out; it's making me nervous." She joked, Magnus wondering if his heart could beat any faster without him having a heart attack.

 "You've been to Alec's house before, this is no different. You know Alec." Ru reminded Magnus, putting a reassuring hand on her son's shoulder. Magnus turned to look at her, nodding, trying to absorb the information positively. He asked her if she would come in with him, Ru laughing lightly and telling him that she didn't think she could this time. 

Magnus said that he was being dramatic and he knew, Ru telling him that it was fine to be nervous on prom night. He sighed, knowing that if he didn't get out soon he would be late, and then he would really be in trouble. Magnus leaned over, kissing his mother on the cheek lightly before getting out of the car, hearing her wish him good luck.