First and Last

The lover said I know. 

And kissed his trembling lips. 

She touched his fingertips. 

And somehow they both knew. 

He's not coming home. 

*****

The common room looked so warm.

So inviting.

It brought back so many memories.

One in particular comes to the front of my mind. 

"Promise me you won't leave me." I whisper into his chest.

Its the day after Dumbledore's death.

Every one is getting ready for the funeral.

Harry and I are in his dorm.

The rest of the boys were down stairs in the common room but we decided to stay up for another few minutes.

We needed time.

There's a pause and I know exactly what he's thinking. I pull away and look into his eyes.

"For how long?" I asks.

He looks down at my arms.

"How ever long it takes."

A single tear falls down my face as I lean into his chest again. We sit there for a few minutes in comfortable silence.

Eventually a series of sobs from downstairs brings us back to reality.

"We should probably go down." I whisper. He nods. As I stand up I realize that I hadn't finished zippering my dress.

"Can you zip me up please?" I ask and he nods again. I feel his hard yet soft hands touch my back slowly bringing the zipper up as if observing every inch. I laugh at the thought.

"What's so funny?" He asks with a small smile on his face.

"Nothing. Just you." I say turning around. His ears go red, causing me to laugh even more.

We stand there in silence until Harry leans down and kisses me.

Soft and gentle, as if I were made of glass.

The kiss sends chills up my spine. We break apart and I see that his eyes are no longer as dark as they were a minute before.

"I love you." He whispers.

I feel a swooping sensation in my stomach.

"I love you too." I whisper back before leaning in for another kiss. 

*****

That was the first time we had told each other that we loved each other.

 It was also the last.