1 ; prologue

Prescott Valley, Arizona
June 29, 2018

Prescott Valley, ArizonaJune 29, 2018

-

"Cas, I'm worried about him." Dean whispers, running his hand through his short hair. "Ever since she died, he hasn't been himself. I don't know what to do,"

"I'm sure seeing her as a ghost didn't help him much," Cas mumbles. "He's hurt, Dean. I don't think there's anything you can do."

Dean paused, taking in Cas's words. Maybe there wasn't anything he could do, but that didn't mean there wasn't something Cas could do.

"Come on," Dean says, grabbing Cas's shoulder. "There's somewhere we need to go."

Once they were gone, Sam sighed and stepped out of the hallway, where previously he had been eavesdropping. He walked through the small motel room and grabbed a beer out of the mini-fridge. He twisted the cap off and tossed it into the trash before sitting on his bed.

Sam looked at the bed next to him, smiling at the sight of Elizabeth and Rosie sleeping. They looked so peaceful, Sam thought. He hadn't been able to sleep very well since losing Casey.

"Here's to two years without you," Sam mumbles, raising the beer up to the ceiling and then taking a drink.

He reached over to the bedside table and grabbed his journal, flipping it open and grabbing a small stack of pictures from the back pocket. Sam felt tears fall from his eyes as he shuffled through the photos. There was a picture Dean had taken of them when they were in new York, eating pizza while laughing at each other. Another was a picture of Casey, staring up at the snowy trees when they were in South Dakota. The last picture was taken at the hospital after Rosie had been born. They were the few pictures left that hadn't been ruined in the fire that night.

Sam wiped his eyes and took another drink of his beer. He tossed the pictures back onto the nightstand and closed his eyes.

-

"What's happening?" Casey whispered, looking around her.

The room, or whatever you would consider it, was usually illuminated by a harsh, red light. Looking up, Casey saw bright flashes of white and yellow light, followed by a high-pitch noise that sounded like screaming.

Casey fell to the ground as everything around her began to violently shake. She couldn't see anything except for the flashes of light. She felt something grab ahold of her forearm and she began to scream and kick her legs, except she couldn't feel the ground anymore. As she was pulled closer towards the lights, she felt her eyelids slowly get heavier and heavier until they were no longer open.

Casey's eyes shot open and she sharply inhaled, her heart racing. She reached up, feeling what appeared to be wood covering wherever she was. A dull light was shining through a crack in the wood, allowing Casey to assume she was in a coffin. She took a deep breath and used her hands and feet in attempt to break out. The lid flew open and Casey immediately sat up, breathing heavily.

She stood up and got on her tiptoes to see over the dirt surrounding her. She stepped up onto the side of the coffin and jumped, pulling herself up and out of the hole in the ground. When she stood up, her eyes widened. She was standing in a graveyard, the same one that her mother had been buried in.

Casey looked down, seeing the plush interior of the coffin she had just been in. She saw piles of dirt surrounding her, and she wondered if someone had tried to dig up her coffin. Casey sighed and walked through the graveyard, looking for her mother's plot. She felt tears sting the corners of her eyes when she saw the headstone broken into pieces.

Casey frowned and looked around, seeing that the whole place was a wreck. There were fallen trees, cracked headstones, and piles of dirt everywhere. She looked back at where she had been buried and felt her heart sink when she saw that her headstone was the only one that wasn't ruined.

Casey Winchester
Loving wife and mother.
8/14/87 - 6/29/16

She wiped the tears from her face, noticing a bright red handprint on her wrist.

What the hell had just happened to her?