2 ; marked

Prescott Valley, Arizona
June 29, 2018

Prescott Valley, ArizonaJune 29, 2018

-

After seeing all of the destruction at the cemetery, Casey decided she should head home.

Home.

Casey paused. Did she even have a home anymore? She wasn't entirely sure if the house was still there, after the fire and all. Casey sighed and looked down at herself, trying her best to brush the dirt off of her clothes.

As she walked, her mind wandered. Why had she been brought back? And by who? She didn't even know how long she had been gone. She wasn't even sure anything that had happened there had actually happened.

It was just getting dark outside, so there weren't that many people around. Casey walked in silence with her arms crossed tightly over her chest. She was scared, for so many reasons.

What if Sam had moved on? What if the girls didn't want anything to do with her? Casey's heart ached as she thought about Sam and the kids.

It was completely dark out by the time Casey made it to their neighborhood. She stopped in front of the house, covering her mouth with her hand. The outside of the house was mostly charred, and all of the upstairs windows were broken. The front door was closed, and she was almost tempted to go inside.

She knew nothing on the inside would still be there. All of her things, all of her parent's things, would be gone. Destroyed by the fire.

Casey took a deep breath and kept walking.

As she passed a house, she noticed a newspaper in the driveway. Casey bent down and picked up the news paper, reading the date at the top.

2018?

She had been gone- dead, for 2 whole years?

"Oh my god," she sighed, tossing the newspaper on the ground.

Casey rubbed her temples, trying not to cry. She had missed two years of her daughters' lives? She looked around, walking towards the house. She knocked on the door and waited.

A woman, who was quite a few years older than Casey, opened the door. "Hi, can I help you?"

"Yeah, uh- my car broke down a few miles from here. Do you think I could use your phone?" she asked, forcing a smile after.

"Sure, dear. Come on in," the lady stepped aside, letting Casey in. "I only have a landline, hope you don't mind. I'm too old for all that new technology!"

Casey laughed. "That's fine. Thank you,"

The lady lead her into the kitchen and pointed to the phone. Casey picked it up and dialed Sam's number, bringing the phone to her ear afterwards.