Chapter 29

"You get the spaghetti sticks and I'll get the Prego," I told Luke.

"You're a guy," he said, a smirk forming on his face. I rolled my eyes at his lame joke.

"You're an idiot."

"I'm your idiot."

"Yes, you are."

We shared a short kiss before we split off to different directions. I made my way over to the aisle of sauces. I looked over to where the one I was looking for should be. When I found it I reached for it, but then another hand was trying to get it as well and our fingers brushed. The person pulled back and I instinctively did the same.

"Sorry," the person muttered before looking at me. My eyes widened when I saw who it was. "Oh, well if it isn't you."

"Wh-Why are you here?" I asked.

"What other reason would I be here other than shopping?" Mason then grabbed the jar of Prego and handed it to me. "I believe you want this?"

"But didn't you want it, too?" I hesitantly took the jar from his hand.

"There's more, you know." He grabbed the next jar and tossed it up in the air before catching it in his hand. He set it down into a basket that was beside his feet. "You came alone?"

"Why are you talking to me so casually? Don't you hate me?"

"We won the football game last night. I'm in a good mood, don't ruin it. I don't know how you got out of the closet either, but I'm going to let that slide." Then he began to approach me, and I took steps back.

"What-"

Suddenly Luke came out of nowhere from behind me and slammed Mason up against the shelves. I gasped as they shook and was surprised that nothing fell off.

"What the fuck are you doing here with Ashton?" Luke hissed, his eyes glaring right into Mason's.

"Calm down, mate, he and I were just chatting," Mason said nonchalantly. "Besides, I'm buying stuff as well."

"Don't fucking 'mate' me. You've been on my bad side since you started bothering Ashton."

"Luke, come on," I began, tugging on his arm, "let's just go. We're drawing attention." There were eyes staring right at us, and it was making me uncomfortable.

Mason shoved Luke off of him and dusted himself off. "I'm not wasting my time here. This guy here is ruining you, Luke. You weren't even there when we won the game at the last second. Won by a point, thanks to me."

"I wasn't feeling too well," Luke said.

"Bullfuckingshit. You were perfectly fine. You left to be with him. I see the look you give him, and I can tell he's a distraction. If you don't pull your head out of the clouds, then you'll get kicked off the team."

"He's my responsibility."

"Not now, he isn't. Only at school, remember? Of course, you wouldn't, because you're head over heels for him." Mason then looked at me. It seems like his happy mood is gone. "Do you even know what you do to him?"

I gulped when his eyes seemed to burn into me.

"He's easily distracted during practice, and he leaves during the middle of our first game of the year just to be with you. Yes, you should be flattered, but think of him once in a while. You're not helping him at all."

"Shut up, Mason," Luke snapped before grabbing my wrist. "We're going now."

"I'm telling you this for your own good!" Luke didn't even pay any attention to Mason after that, but his words were stuck in my head.