Part 39

CHAPTER 39

To Elizabeth's surprise, when Lady Catherine whipped out a brace of matching flintlocks, she didn't immediately point them at her.

"If there is one thing I cannot abide," Her Ladyship said as her assassins rushed toward Elizabeth's family and their newfound friends, "it's ungrateful help."

And she took aim at those new friends—Nezu and Mr. Quayle—and pulled the triggers.

Nezu was a moving target, bouncing and weaving toward his former comrades with a retractable bo staff in his hands. The shot intended for him went wild.

Mr. Quayle, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as nimble. There was a thunk, and a hole appeared in the side of his little crate.

"No!" Mary cried. She started to kneel next to the box, but there was no time. The first wave of ninjas was almost upon her, and she was forced to whip out the nunchucks she carried in a back-scabbard and go on the attack.

Mr. Bennet and Kitty were wading into the battle, too, but Elizabeth couldn't follow their progress. Lady Catherine had tossed aside her pistols and somersaulted from her saddle, drawing her katana just before landing. She started stalking toward Elizabeth as Anne staggered away, a dagger still stuck through her wrist.

"Wait for me in the dojo," Lady Catherine called after her daughter. "I shan't be long."

Elizabeth quickly tucked the vial back in its box with the MacFarqwand (which was also still in one piece, she was relieved to see). Then she stood and reached over her left shoulder. She was wearing a back-scabbard as well, only hers held a sword. She'd assumed—even hoped—this moment would come before the day was through.

It was time for her final duel with Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

"Wait!" Darcy called out, running to intercept his aunt. "There is no need for—!"

Her Ladyship caught him by surprise with a sudden, savage side kick that sent her foot deep into his midriff.

"I am extremely displeased with you," she said as he stumbled back a step and then collapsed.

The kick barely set Lady Catherine off her stride, and she carried on swiftly toward Elizabeth.

The old woman pointed at the box.

"Give me that, and I will make your death a quick one."

"There is something you should know before you try to take it," Elizabeth said. She slid the box into one of the oversized ammunition flaps on her battle gown and then jerked her head toward Sir Angus. The man was stretched out flat on his face, either dead or moments from it. "He was mistaken. Only one dose of the vaccine remains. You cannot save your daughter and your nephew both. The happy ending you sought is impossible. And always has been, I might add."

"Impudent wench," Her Ladyship growled, and she covered the last twenty feet between them in a leap, her sword pointed at Elizabeth's face.

Elizabeth dived aside with not a second to spare. Lady Catherine seemed even quicker than the last time they'd fought—and Elizabeth knew herself to be slower.

When Her Ladyship spun around and charged her again, she was smiling smugly. She began slicing at Elizabeth with big, arcing swings of the sword even as she talked.

"You know you cannot defeat me. I can see it in your eyes. I have been campaigning against the dreadfuls these past four years while you have lived the life of a gentleman's wife."

She lunged at Elizabeth.

"A gentleman's."

She lunged again.