11

After a long night of tears and silent comfort, Raven and Joelle had to get ready for school.

"You know, if you're not feeling school today I'll stay home with you."Raven laid a hand on Joelle's shoulder.

"I bet you will."Joelle gave a small laugh and zipped up her pants. "We have a test today. So I'm going to school and you are too. Go get dressed."

"Alright. I'll be right back. You sure you're fine?"Raven needed the confirmation.

Joelle nodded her head and smiled to get Raven out of the door. She opened her hand and stared down at the pills she was holding.

"I'm going to stop. I'm going to stop."Joelle sighed before tossing the pills down her throat. She grabbed a water bottle from her dresser to wash them down.

She knew that Raven might be upset If she saw her take the pills. Although she knew that she was abusing them, the Xanax was a pick me up for Joelle. It helped her focus on everything but the things that made her depressed. It wiped sadness from her mind and Joelle would do anything to forget.

"You ready?"Raven asked as she climbed back into her window.

"Yeah...yeah, I'm ready."Joelle snapped back into reality.  She had zoned out. That was something she tended to do a lot when she was under the influence. "My mom is going to take us to school today."

Raven nodded her head as she pulled Joelle's window closed. She never came through the front door. That was like their thing.

Joelle grabbed her backpack and only slipped one of her arms into the straps.

The two of them walked out of her room and outside to the front of the house where Joelle's mother was waiting for them.

"I asked Raven to stay last night. I was bored."Joelle quickly explained before her mother could say anything.

"Hi, Raven. How are you?"Margaret looked at her through her rearview mirror with pursed lips. It was no secret that Joelle's mother had a problem with Raven. When they were kids she loved her and Aisha both, but as they got older they changed and so did her love for them.

"I'm very well Mrs.Johnson. How are you?"Raven kept a smile on her face. She was never a disrespectful child. She felt that her personal life was none of Margaret's business so she kept the same energy towards her.

"Good."She answered bringing the car to an awkward silence. Luckily their school was only about three blocks away.

Joelle turned up the radio in hopes that it would lighten everyone's mood, but still, the tension stood.

Finally, a Margaret's 82' Cadillac Deville came to a screeching halt at the corner of the school.  "Don't slam my damn door either."

"Bye, momma."Joelle climbed out of the car and closed the door as soft as she could because she didn't want to hear her mouth about slamming it. "Sorry about her, she's so damn rude."

"It's cool. She ain't bother me none."Raven shrugged her shoulders and pulled her backpack up on her arm.

As they made their way through the courtyard, Joelle had that familiar feeling of eyes on her. She felt like everyone was staring at her and talking about her.

People were whispering, everyone was talking. She just didn't know what they were talking about.

"You good?"Raven placed her hand on Joelle's shoulder.