Chapter Three: What Is This?

Squidward 🦑

My days were so so peaceful now. I never heard that childish idiot knocking on my door anymore, thank goodness. That was something I'd most definitely did not miss. I sighed in pure bliss as I stood in my gallery, admiring my image. "I am so handsome," I smirked, admiring my soft, aqua tresses.

My gaze shifted to my ruby eyes and supple skin. "My, Squiddy, I could just marry you!" After a moment, I just decided to practice my clarinet.

SkyhdthjjFdhbkmlbfaefnjhfyuuu~~~

The sweet sound of my instrument was everything. Why am I not a celebrity yet?? "Okay, Squidward, I guess you should go to work now." With a grunt, I straightened out my mocha colored shirt and set off.

I haven't really seen Spongebob for the last couple of days...not even at work. I smiled and made my way to work with an unusual spring in my step. That's right, Spongebob hasn't been there! That just made work a whole lot better.

When I walked in, the aura was different. I sat in my usual position behind the cash register and reached for my magazine. "Hi there!" I cringed at the sudden bubbly voice.

There stood a girl with latte colored eyes and creamy skin. Freckles lightly dotted her face and plump peach lips curled into a smile. "My name is Rosie, and I'm the new fry cook!"

New...fry cook??

Oh thank Neptune, that yellow idiot quit!! "Squidward," I mumbled, immediately stuffing my face in a magazine. "Anyways, I'll leave you to reading whatever that is! It was nice meeting you."

Rosie didn't pester me, and only spoke when an order was ready. I think I'm liking this replacement!

Spongebob ☀️

My eyes clouded over as I sat in the darkness of my living room. I was still a little bummed out over Squidward. He didn't even miss me! Well, I guess I wouldn't if I were him. I guess that's why I resigned in the first place.

"Meow?" Gary looked up at me and I smiled sadly. "Hey Gar-Bear. Are you hungry? Here, I'll go fix you dinner." He continued to stare at me as I walked out of the room.

As I prepared Gary's dinner, I realized that I needed to look for another job. "Barnacles!  How could I've been so dense!" I quickly served  Gar-Bear his food and looked in the papers. Maybe I could get a part time job at the chum bucket. "Hey, I think I could!" I giggled for the first time in weeks.

Hopefully, plankton will let me. The next day, I was on my way to the said restaurant when I was suddenly pushed to the ground. "Hey..!" I skinned my knee and was almost on the verge of tears.

Squidward

He smirked viciously down at me and spat, "What do you think you're doing?! Following me again?" I tried to read his expression, but It was indescribable. "I'm just going to apply for a job. Leave me alone." I dusted off my brown skirt and adjusted my knee socks.

I quickly walked past him before he could say or do anything else. That was the first encounter I've had in weeks. Whatever, if I get this job, I can move away from him.

Squidward 🦑

I could feel some weird feeling begin to bubble up. When she said she was getting another job, why did I feel so disappointed? Rosie got boring real quick. She would never sporadically surprise me or give me such sweet, gentle hugs..I choked when I realized what I was thinking. "No!! This better not be happening! Squidward, get a hold of yourself!"

I swear, I was considerably warmer in the face after those thoughts.

~~
Flashback

About a month or so ago, Spongebob was humming some stupid tune to herself, and I found myself kinda liking it. "Squidward~~!" She giggled and handed me a krabby patty.

"One Krabby Deluxe jr.!"

After work was over, she tiredly came up to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Squidward, I just wanted to s-say...thank you for being such a good friend! I love you...Zzz..."

Mr. Krabs smirked and said, "Take the lass home, Squiddy. It's late." I sighed but hooked my arms under her sock clad legs. "Zzz..."
Spongebob continued to snore, and it evoked some blooming feeling.

Huh...I guess I never realized how cute her snores were. I finally made it to her pineapple house and tucked her into her bed. "Goodnight Spongebob," I scowled and paused for a moment. After contemplation, I pecked her forehead and left.

~~

As usual, work was boring. Rosie barely said anything, and I longed for the damn familiar feeling of someone's arms around me. I blushed in shame and scowled lightly at the approaching customer.

"Welcome to the Krusty Krab," I began monotonously. "Can I help you?" Great, it was Patrick. "Uh..." he stared blankly at the menu. "Where's Spongebob?" I stiffened and released a light, shaky breath.

"She doesn't work here anymore. Now may I take your order?" Patrick's eyes narrowed at me and I was actually kind of scared.

"Why doesn't she work here anymore?"

I broke out into a sweat. "Um..I don't know," I mumbled, eyebrows furrowing. "Are you gonna order or not?!" Patrick scoffed lightly and asked for a krabby patty.

"You know," he began. "She came crying to me a few weeks ago about an incident that happened." I chewed on my bottom lip and hummed in acknowledgement.

"Order up!"

For one, I was thankful for Rosie. "Here you go Patrick, have a nice day," I said, quickly shoving the food in front of dark eyed man.

He gave me one last dirty look before leaving, and I couldn't be anymore grateful. Normally, the thought o Spongebob quitting was a dream come true.

Now, I wasn't so sure.