Day 4

The people that were missing, were being held against their will by the military in a compound about ten minutes out of town. They were all huddled up together, frightened by what might happened to them, and wondered if they would see friends and family again. In a large tent in the center of the compound was something that was guarded night and day by ten men surrounding the entire tent. The people were getting more and more scared because more people were being brought in by force. One of their people escaped the night before and haven't heard anything since, they hoped that person made back all right and help is on its way.

That person was John, who is still sleeping on Jane's couch, resting like the doctor ordered. It was around 2 PM the next day, John was just waking up and felt the pain from the day before. Sheriff Jackson was called when John woke up and arrived about ten minutes later. As soon as he got there, he started asking questions left and right.

"First, how are you doing and secondly, what happened to you?"

"First, I'm fine and for the second question, I was taken to a compound with other town's people against our will."

"Where were you taken? How many people are out there? Where can we find them?"

"They took us to the abandoned military compound on the outskirts of town. There are about twenty‑five to thirty people out there and you can find them in a storage shed at the far end of the compound, but they are closely guarded as is the space craft they are protecting from wondering eyes like yours and mine."

"Thanks John, get some rest and I'll get on the horn to Washington about withdrawing their men, while also getting our people back."

"OK, Sheriff Jackson. Thanks for looking out for Jane while I was gone and caring for the people here."

"You're welcome. See you later."

Sheriff Jackson left and Jane went back to caring for John, like he did for her. She sat on the end of the couch with John's head on her lap and decided to stay there until he went back to sleep. Afterwards she would go to bed and then they would call Sheriff Jackson to see what is going on. They would take the back way to Sheriff Jackson's office in case the military was looking for him and decide what course of action they would be taking after that. They went past a checkpoint and were almost spotted by the guards that were on duty.

John and Jane made it to Sheriff Jackson's office, where they sat down to discuss what needed to be done about their captured friends. They needed to know the military has them and why they won't them go. They are being held against their will and they may be hurt, no telling what has happened to them. Sheriff Jackson has tried to get in touch with the military base where these soldiers are from, but the telephone lines have been cut to all outgoing lines. The soldiers received orders to cut the lines after the last time they were in town.

The soldiers that were on duty, started to walk towards Sheriff Jackson's office with rifles at the ready, and the people in the jail were ordered apprehended. After their capture, sent to the abandoned military compound with the others for interrogation by the commanding officer. The prisoners will then be placed into confinement with the others until the officer decides what he will do with them. However, the soldiers are to keep everything quiet until further notice from the commanding officer.

Sheriff Jackson, John, and Jane ran out the back and found perfect hiding spots in the abandoned building next door. They'd stay there until it was safe to come out of hiding. The soldiers knocked in Sheriff Jackson's door and found no one inside the jail. They went back outside and looked around for anyone walking the streets. They didn't see anyone, so they went back to their post and radio the compound to tell them that they didn't find or see anyone. They gave their report and stood at their post until they were relieved of duty. They were on duty until the next morning and didn't know who would be relieving them.

John, Jane, and Sheriff Jackson stayed in the building throughout the entire night, keeping eye out for any visiting soldiers. They sat around talking about what they were going to do and how they were going to help their friends out of their predicament. Sheriff Jackson went out of the building quietly, so to draw no attention to the hiding spot of his friends. He went to the diner next door, got food for John, Jane, and himself. When he got back, they were gone and didn't leave a message to where they went, but then he heard a noise from an adjoining room.

John and Jane appeared out of a hidden passageway in the next room and they looked very, very frightened.

"What happened, you're both as pale as a ghost."

"The soldiers came up to the front of the building and started to pound on the front door, trying to force it open. We got scared, ran into the other room, and found a passageway big enough to lay down in, and is had to find. It also has a lock on the other side and you can see into the rooms to see what is going on. We hid there until they were gone, but when you came, we thought it was the soldiers again."

"Are you OK? I thought you left or that they might have captured you. If it is a good place to hide, I suggest we keep the passageway open until we need to run in there again and as soon as it's safe come back out. Sleep in the passageway, I'll keep the first watch and then it will be John's turn. We'll switch every four hours, OK?"

"OK, good night Sheriff Jackson, see you in the morning."

"Good night, see you in four hours John."

"OK, see you later."

John and Jane went into the passageway to get some sleep, Sheriff Jackson kept an eye and ear out for the soldiers, in case they came back. Everything was quiet, but during the last hour of the first watch loud bang rang out and then soldiers were running towards the building where Sheriff Jackson was keeping watch and the others were sleeping. Sheriff Jackson ran into the passageway and quietly woke the others up after locking the passageway door so no one could open it.

The soldiers came running into the building and started looking around because the explosion was near the building, it was a couple soldiers testing grenades. The soldiers were here to see if the building was damaged and if it was, they were going to repair it before anyone noticed.