Chapter: 1 Prologue

Kelly Reneé Fletcher was born on January 4th, 1992 to Rose and Sullivan Fletcher. When she was born, doctors had absolutely no clue what was wrong with her; she was born with 14 fractures, bowed legs, and bowed arms. At first, the doctors claimed that she had a type of dwarfism due to the bowed legs and arms yet they were baffled about how many fractures she had. They said, with her condition, she wasn't going to make it. After two weeks of testing and in and out of the hospital, Kelly was diagnosed with type III Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI) a condition where bones break easily. "Children with this condition have a short lifespan-" That's all the doctor had to say before Rose burst into tears as she looked at her two week old tear drop face, barrel shaped chest, bowed legged baby girl; she'd never seen anything more beautiful. "What can we do to help her?" pleaded Sullivan through a thick knot of emotion.

"Well there is no cure to OI, but there are surgeries to help straighten out arms her legs-"

Rose cut him off, "Surgery?!" she choked out before bursting into tears once more.

The beginning of Kelly's life wasn't a picnic. It consisted of a cycle of breaking, hospital visits and casting until one day doctors notified The Fletchers that Kelly could be a part of their study to test a new medicine called Pamidronate. Pamidronate is a medicine that is given by an IV infusion to increase the bone density and decrease breaking in an OI patient; it's not a cure but it saves and helps improve lives. Once Kelly was signed up to test Pamidronate (PAM), she was receiving infusions every 4 months for 3 day periods consisting of 4 hours each day. She also received rodding surgery on both her legs and arms that help decrease her breaking. From there on, life was good for her and she could finally start having a somewhat normal childhood; yet she wasn't out of the woods yet.

When Kelly turned 10, she was diagnosed with cervical kyphosis (curved neck) and severe scoliosis (curved spine). The only way to fix Kelly's condition was for her to undergo major surgeries. The kyphosis surgery had a 50/50 chance of correction and was simply too risky to try. So instead of going through a major surgery, Kelly had to wear a neck brace to try to prevent her neck from getting any worst. They also had no luck with the spine surgery either; the doctors said if they were to fix her spine they would have to fix her neck first, leaving Kelly and her family distraught. Kelly had to wear a neck brace and a back brace everyday to school, to put it bluntly, She hated it. The kids in her class teased her and they constantly poked fun at her. One day there was an incident where she was so fed up with the way people treated her, she ended up running over Justin Johnson's foot with her power chair- breaking his toe. "Hurts! doesn't it!" she had snarled while he slowly backed away from her. After that, she was never made fun of again. The only "real" friend she had was, her friend, Jemma. Jemma showed her kindness and sympathy yet she treated her like an actual person, which made her Kelly's lifelong best friend.

Throughout her teen years, Kelly was an excellent student- maintaining a 4.0 average while juggling homework, Debate Team, Class President, and volunteering at local food banks and animal shelters. She was voted Valedictorian in her Senior Class and received a Scholarship to her dream school, Harvard. At Harvard she went through all her mandated classes and began studying pre-law for 4 years before finally deciding on going to Law School back in her hometown. Even though Kelly got everything she dreamed of she still felt... lost... like she didn't belong in the world. She never showed anyone her true feelings, except Jemma, and tended to bottle things up. She had her own ways of coping with her feelings though; when a popular book series, called Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, was published- she fell deeply in love with the characters and was mesmerized by the story. Harry Potter was her automatic go to both movies and books as they kept her sane over the course of her crazy life. She was obsessed and would often watch and re-watch the series on a daily basis; it was the one thing that made her truly happy. When Kelly was about 15 she was contacted by the Make A Wish Foundation who were going to grant her one wish which was to meet Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe, yet after 2 years of waiting she was declined and was crushed. In the end, she ended up moving on to her second wish which was to go to spend two weeks in Italy.

Kelly graduated in the top of her class from Harvard Class of 2014. She was both excited yet sad that she was leaving the few friends she had made in college but they swore to stay in touch and to meet up as much as often as they could. She flew back to her hometown in Venice, Florida to attend Law School. What she didn't realize was that this summer everything was going to change.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! this is my first book I ever wrote I really hope you like it I hope its not too short. The main character Kelly is based on me she has OI and I have OI. I really hope I gave a good enough description of her condition and what she goes through on a daily basis. I'm really really really excited about this book and I hope you are too any comments or suggestions please comment I would love to read them and dont forget to give it a thumbs up! Thanks again for reading and I should post the next chapter very soon. ;)