Writing Quotes

I've found a lot of really amazing quotes on writing from various websitea. They are very inspirational and encouraging, so I've posted my favs. What's your favorite quote from this chapter? Comment below!! :) Lots of Love - The Ree Alexander 

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” 

― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” 

― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” 

― Ernest Hemingway

"Substitute a bad word every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

  - Mark Twain

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

 - W. Somerset Maugham

“The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress.”

—Philip Roth

“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”

—Stephen King

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. … It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.”

—Enid Bagnold

“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.”

—Allen Ginsberg, WD

“The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.”

—Samuel Johnson

“If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it. Or, if proper usage gets in the way, it may have to go. I can’t allow what we learned in English composition to disrupt the sound and rhythm of the narrative.”

—Elmore Leonard

“Write. Rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts.”

—Larry L. King, WD

“When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done.”

—Stephen King, WD

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.

~Anaïs Nin

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.

~William Wordsworth

The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible.

~Vladimir Nabakov

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

~Anton Chekhov