Chapter 2

I choked on my food! I couldn't believe what I just heard. This cannot be happening. I regained my composure after Samantha helped me drink some water.

"I'm sorry what?!"

"Amanda I hope you remember my son, Damien." Micheal spoke sitting upright.

"Of course she does. Remember hun how you two were the best of friends back in your childhood. I remember you guys were inseparable. Damien never missed a day joining me whenever he heard I'm visiting your house for tea with your Mum." Anna chimed in with a smile looking at distant as if reliving the memory.

"Anna what are you talking about? It wasn't Damien! That was Emilia! It was never just me and him having little play dates! Aaron and your daughter, "Emilia" were there too where Em and I spent most of the time together not Damien and me. I'm sorry but your memory is failing terribly here Ann. And how can you guys even think of getting us married all of a sudden. We didn't have any contact for the past eight years, that is, since the day you guys left London." I cried out loud.

"But we did meet him a couple of times in Uganda and Somalia for the Smile campaign over the past four summers remember?" Samantha smirked. Thanks for showing me your love sister but this is really not the time to pull my leg!

"Yes! We did! Where every time, he left right after giving a speech or coming for a few minutes just to make sure everything's fine, that too whenever Anna is not present there! The only real conversation we had over the years revolved around the words 'hello', 'hi', 'how are you' and 'I'm fine'." I kept my hands on top of the table standing up from my seat, stating the last word of my sentence, throwing a forced smile towards my sister. She knew very well how to annoy me.

"Is that why you don't wanna marry him? 'Cause you're too hurt that he didn't talk to you much? That he didn't give you enough attention Am?" Aaron got in and I turned my annoyed face slowly to look at his smirking expression.

I have the most annoying and unhelpful siblings in the world!

Anna chuckled lightly before getting up and coming over to me. So not funny Anna.

"Bambina, I know it's been ages since you've met and mingled properly love, but I'm sure you'll get along just like you used to when you were kids." (Baby girl)

"Like when we were kids? We didn't even talk that much back then either! It's been so long Anna. Things have changed so much. We can't just meet and "mingle" and we aren't even kids now for the matter." I cannot believe they're doing this!

"Indeed Amanda. It's been a few years since I've retired from the business while Damien has taken over it and I can say i have no repentance about it. Damien has taken care of the company very well and is determined to take it to new heights by hook or by crook. Things have indeed changed Amanda and I can assure you it's for the better." Micheal said with visible pride in his voice.

"Yes. He's always been such a wonderful lad. And Amanda now you can even learn a trick or two from Damien about the business world." Dad said winking at me.

"I don't think I'll need anyone's help doing that Dad. Even if I do need help, Aaron's right here. I don't think I need to get married for that." I rolled my eyes at his statement when suddenly realising what I had done, I spoke right away changing the subject.

"Dad, marriage is a big step in life. Both Damien and I are adults who I think can make their own decisions, especially about something as big as this." I said quickly moving forward folding my arms on my chest, once I realised what I had just spilled.

"Silence little lady!" Dad retaliated. Clasping the arms of the head chair. His face didn't look pleased while he eyed Aaron dangerously. Oops. I should've skipped the him helping me part.

Anna continued coming around beside me, resting her hand on my shoulder, "Mio Dio! Nobody's telling you to get married right away. Take some time and get acquainted with each other's life. I hope you know whatever we do, we have both of your best interest at heart. Think about it wisely bambina." She continued.

I wasn't being able to think properly. Why is this happening? I asked her the question that was roaming around my head after the news blast, "Does Damien even know about this?"

"Yes he does. He said he'll look into it." Micheal said standing up, followed by my dad. "Amanda, dear we want you to come with us to Italy to meet Damien. Stay with us for a month, then both you and Damien can get well acquainted with each other's life."

"What? Why?" Samantha and I exclaimed in unison. "I mean I'm not even proposing this deal and I'm the one who has to go and meet him? Why can't he come and visit us here in London?" I asked.

"Simply because he's busy running an empire Amanda. I agree with them. I think you should go visit Rome with them. It'll be better since you'll be soon moving there after your marriage." Okay. Dad should probably stop predicting the future.

"I haven't given my consent yet so I think it's better to leave out any assumptions Dad. I'm sorry Anna and Micheal but I will not be flying to Rome with you. If Damien has an empire to run then I have a career to built and stand on my own feet. Now if you'll excuse me I have to do something important." I took my jacket and bag intending to head outside after kissing Anna on the cheeks and apologising the crowd for my abrupt departure with which Dad looked very angry and judging by the looks he was giving me, I knew right away I was gonna be in big trouble when I return home.

But as of now, I didn't care. I needed to get out of there before I said something that I might regret.

***
So what do you guys think about this? Please do share your thoughts on the comments. Don't forget to vote and share! ❤️