Chapter 2: New Home

Bird song filled the cold air as a black cab drove down the streets. Raven sat in the cab waiting to arrive at what would be her home for the next week. Snuggling into her white scarf, a smile spread across her face. She had never been to London before, let alone travel much for that matter. Not to mention the trip allowed her to get away from the suffocatingly negative atmosphere back home. A sense of joy and excitement was just inevitable.

It wasn't long before the cab pulled up at the destination and Raven paid the cabbie. Grabbing her suitcase she stepped out into the open, her skin prickling in excitement. The house was somewhat old-fashioned and rather large, practically a mansion. Large swaths of bushes and trees framed the building just under its' purple-grey roof tiles. The dark stone wall were and worn down by age with several vines of ivy and geranium hanging from the windows.

As if on cue, the door of the house swung open and out stepped a woman. She looked to be in her late 40s and wore a long peach cardigan, her greying brown hair tied into a neat bun. The moment she saw Raven her face lit up in a warm smile.

"Raven dear! It's so good to see you!" She beamed walking over to Raven and pulling her into a tight hug.

"Hi Mrs. Holmes. Nice to... See you too!" Raven breathed feeling almost suffocated. Calling the hug tight was almost an understatement. After what felt like ages, she finally let go.

"Safe travel? There weren't any problems getting here, were there?"

"No not at all. It was fine."

Just then the door opened again and two men walked out. One who Raven assumed was Mr. Holmes, and a younger man in his mid 20s.

"Robert, Mike, come meet Raven!" Mrs. Holmes called approaching the men. "This is my husband, Robert, and my son Mycroft." She continued, gesturing to them both. Mr. Holmes gave a friendly wave and warm smile which matched his wife's.

"We've been expecting you." Mycroft said with a curt nod.

"Nice to meet you both."

The four of them soon made their way into the house. The interior was pretty similar to what was be expected based on the exterior. For sure, it was a massive house, rather quaint and cozy as well. The walls were beautifully decorated with framed pieces of art and an old fashioned chandelier hung from the ceiling above. A large staircase lead up to the second floor, next to a tall window that lit up the entire room.

"Where's William? Did he not come down?" Mrs. Holmes questioned as they settled down at a table.

"Oh you know how he is." Mycroft snorted.

William? Raven thought to herself as she set her suitcase next to her. Mrs. Holmes sighed, then walked out of the room momentarily before returning with a platter of biscuits and hot tea.

"I er... Thank you Mrs. Holmes." She thanked nervously. "You really didn't have to." Raven took a bite from a biscuit. God these are good.

"Oh no I insist." The woman responded cheerily.

The next several minutes were filled with conversation (mostly form the couple) as they all got to know each other. Mr. and Mrs. Holmes, as expected, were great company. The two were happy, outgoing, and always kept the mood up. Mycroft on the other hand was a lot less social. Reserved, unlike his parents.

A couple more minutes passed until Mrs. Holmes decided it was time Raven got familiar with the house and was shown her room.

"Mycroft, do be a dear and show Raven to her room."

Mycroft nodded before standing up and heading towards the staircase. "This way." He called back as Raven followed, suitcase in hand. Mycroft wasn't one for conversation, so the walk up was mostly filled with silence. She couldn't help notice how formal the man looked. He was dressed in professional attire; suit, tie and all, and his hair was neatly combed back. As soon as they reached the second floor, Raven thought back to what Mrs. Holmes said earlier and decided to ask.