Chapter 3: Evening

Raven trudged down the hallway, thoughts racing in her head about what had just happened. Who is this guy? I've only just met him and he just decides to drag up personal information about my past? She pulled her sleeve down angrily, covering the faded bruises. Pfft, so much for first impressions.

Being distracted with her own thoughts, she almost didn't notice the person who was standing only several feet from where she was.

"Judging by your expression, I see you've met my brother."

Raven almost jumped at the voice. Looking up she saw who it was. "Oh uh... Hi Mycroft."

"Strange, isn't he?" Mycroft asked. He had an expression that said he knew what was going on all too well.

She nodded.

"Did he start deducing?"

"You mean point out personal details that you'd rather not talk about as a first impression?" Raven put in with a hint of anger.

"Yes, he often does that." Mycroft's eyes was fixed on the door of Sherlock's room. "Though I wouldn't say showing off at every possible opportunity is the best use of his intellectual abilities"

Raven gave a snort of agreement and thought for a moment. She couldn't help but notice how similar Sherlock and Mycroft were. Except Sherlock's just a little more blunt about things.

"Do you have that ability too? Deducing, I mean." She queried.

"You can say that. Just one of the... Commonalities my brother and I share. Unfortunate, I know."

Raven stifled a brief laugh. The two brothers were similar but different in their own aspects.

Mycroft heaved a sigh before continuing. " Bit of advice when it comes to Sherlock, get used to it. Seeing as how you'll be stuck with him for the next few days, you might as well."

Yay, fun... Guess he's right. She shrugged. It was only then that she started to notice the large suitcase next to Mycroft. Come to think of it, he did look like he was about to head out somewhere.

"Are you leaving to somewhere?" Raven changed the subject, and to her relief, Mycroft went along with it.

"Work. It's about time my little vacacion here was over." He admitted.

Suddenly a voice called down the hallway. "British government!"

Both Raven and Mycroft rolled their eyes. Of course Sherlock was listening. That bloody prat.

"For goodness' sake." Mycroft muttered to himself. "It's an internship for a very minor position." He replied loudly so that his dear brother was sure to hear it.

Sherlock gave an amused grunt before falling silent. Drawing their gaze away from the boy's room, Mycroft held out his hand for a hand shake. "Goodbye Ms. Underwood. I wish you good luck. You'll be..." He shot a quick glance back at Sherlock's door. "Needing it."

"You too. With work that is." Raven answered, taking his hand and giving it a small shake.

***

The rest of the evening was rather uneventful. It mostly consisted of more lonely drawing, quick chats with Mr. and Mrs. Holmes, and the occasional sound of violin playing from Sherlock's room. Sure he was a bit of an arrogant sod, but Raven had to admit, he was good with the instrument.

Hours had passed and it was around 6 PM. Raven made her way down the stairs to the dining room, sketchbook once again in hand. She heard the low sound of Sherlock's footsteps following at a slower pace several feet behind.

When they both got down, Sherlock went over to the table and took a seat, while Raven walked over to the kitchen not too far away. She was greeted by Mrs. Holmes, who stood in front of the stove. The delicious aroma of roasted potatoes and eggs flooded the room.

For a brief moment, the sight of the flames flickering on the stove made Raven flinch slightly. She shook her head to clear her thoughts. Nope, not thinking about that now.

"Hi Mrs. Holmes. Do you need help with anything?" Raven offered.

"Oh, no need for that, dear. I'll be fine." She smiled back. "You can just go take a seat next to William.

Raven looked over to where Sherlock sat. His eyes were focused and stared off, lost in thought. Not exactly someone I'd want to be with at the moment. She silently remarked before turning to face Mrs. Holmes again. "I really don't mind helping."

"I insist, it's quite alright." There was a hint of sterness in her voice.

Raven opened her mouth to protest but then reconsidered. Crap, maybe I shouldn't. What if she kills me out of niceness. She looks serious. "Alright, I'll er... Be at the table."

She walked out of the kitchen and went over to a seat across from Sherlock (who was still staring into oblivion). Raven ignored him and set her sketchbook on to the wooden table, before settling herself down.

"Just how pyrophobic are you exactly?" Sherlock suddenly spoke up.

"What?"

"Pyrophobia. The irrational fear of fire." He brought his gaze to meet hers.

"Yeah I know what that means." She stated before adding sarcastically, "I'm not stupid, ya know."

"Yes you are."

"Excuse me?" Was this guy serious?

"Oh don't be offended, it's not you. Practically everyone is." He dismissed with a brief flick of his hand.

Raven leaned back in to her chair and narrowed her eyes. "You really don't know how to talk to people, huh?"

Sherlock raised a brow. "Well I am speaking to you, aren't I?"

"Nevermind." Goodness, he is serious.

"By the way here's your pen." He added, tossing it back at her.

Clumsily, she just managed to catch it and shot him a quick glare. The room was fixed with a thick silence for several moments. Just then Raven thought back to what Mycroft had told her earlier. "Get used to it. Seeing as how you'll be stuck with him for the next few days, you might as well."

He did have a point. She took a deep breath before deciding to ask. "So, anymore uncalled for questions you wanna spring on me?"

"Just one." He replied bluntly. "Your real name. It's not actually Raven. So what is it?"

Raven froze for a split second. How did he...

"Initials written on your sketchbook." Sherlock pointed out simply.

Oh right. She thought to herself with a sigh. Raven followed his gaze to the sketchbook that rested on the surface next to her. Written on the front cover were large, dark letters.

"'N.P.U'" He echoed her thoughts, "Easy deduction. 'N' I'm assuming is your first name, and 'P' your middle."

"Well you're not wrong."

"Obviously."

She rolled her eyes. That was going to become quite the common motion.

"You going to tell me?" He pressed.

A small smile formed itself on Raven's face "Ummm nope."

"Why, you offered."

"It's still for me to decide, William." She teased. Hah! You're not the only one who can be annoying.

Sherlock eyed Raven and sat up in his chair. He put his hands in a raised steeple and rested his chin on his fingertips. He was catching on to what she was playing at.

"You know there really is no point in hiding it." He mused playfully, "I'll have my ways of figuring it out."

At that point, Mrs. Holmes walked to the table with several plates. Raven and Sherlock still stayed focused. It was going to be quite a week, so might as well get used to it, and have some fun.