03- The Mermaid is Clueless

Blue 🧜‍♀️

I hated the way Hunter was looking at me like I was crazy. He touched my ankles and pressed it gently. "Does it hurt here?"

"No." I shook my head.

   He touched some other part of my leg, his expressions concerned. "Can you talk about what happened at the beach?"

   "I don't remember anything," I admitted.

   "Where do you live?"

  "I live on the west side of the Ocean near Palm Island. I was supposed to get engaged with my best friend but I didn't want that to happen so I swam away and...and I realized I'd swam into the deepest end. I thought a shark was chasing me so I swam harder and then..." I knew I was getting hysterical, I still continued. "Some fishermen caught me in their net."

   "Uh-huh." That's all Hunter said.

   He didn't believe me!

   I could tell by his expressions.

   I didn't even expect humans to understand me either, but it still hurt my feelings.

   "Let's help you on your feet for now, okay?" Hunter suggested. "Here, let me hold your arm."

  Hunter placed his arm around my shoulders and the other arm slipped around my waist as he pulled me up into a standing position.

  "I can't. I can't stand..." I said.

   But then suddenly, my legs had a strange sensation almost magical like they were finally getting a grip of the land. I felt better, the pain was leaving my feet slowly and I stood on my legs without much effort.

"Put your right leg forward and then your left. Keep doing it." He instructed.

  I tried doing it and once again I was thrilled how I could walk like humans. I'd been swimming all my life and now I could walk like them too.

   I laughed, feeling so wonderful. "I can walk now!"

    Hunter nodded and then he let go of me and walked towards the cooking area, folding his arms across his chest, he watched me. "Try walking. I will catch you before you fall. I won't let you get hurt."

   "Promise?" I asked, glued to the spot where he'd left me.

"Of course."

   ***

Hunter

Blue seemed hesitant at first and then she started walking towards me in slow steps. Small steps, one at a time and she was doing it. I knew it had all been in her head, you know since the poor girl had some kind of a mental disorder. It must have been sad to be alive in the world and not know what to do in circumstances.

  For now, I probably looked like a parent of a one-year-old, waiting for my child to take the first baby steps towards me.

Daddy is waiting here baby, come to daddy!

I groaned. That sounded so wrong even in my head. I wondered what I'd signed up for the minute I'd picked her up from the beach.

Slowly, she took steps towards me and when she reached the counter, she smiled at me. A real, genuine smile. There were tears in her eyes. "Thank you, Hunter."

   And at that point, something riled up deep inside me. Why was she thanking me? She shouldn't. She already knew how to walk, whatever happened to her earlier had probably just fogged up her memory. "Anytime," I said.