Excerpt from my story the end of the beginning

AZA. Was on the run from her father, the government and the hunters. Trying to right her fathers wrong she joins the up with Blake. Together they try to save the world both running from a past which could alter the future of man kind.

***** *******
I was exhausted but sleep still would not engulf me. There were a few places that were still untouched by the sickness and they wanted to keep it that way by killing anyone who tried to enter. Men, women, and children it didn't matter to them at all. Australia, Alaska and most of central America fiercely protected their borders and territories to prevent any outbreaks or resurgence of any issues. Gone were the days of leisure in North America.

My body stiffened with the dip at the corner of the bed. Though my body didn't move a muscle my eyes shot open taking in the darkness of the room. My ears tuned in on the noises around me. I could hear the unlacing of someone's boots and the silent slide of a sock covered foot leaving the warmth of said boot to meet the cold wooden floor. I was sure it was Blake but with out confirmation i extended my right hand to the knife the was wedged into the seam of my pants leg. Then I felt a shift in the bed as the person was lying back.
Did they not know I was here? Impossible! They all knew I was taking this room. As I eased the knife from its resting place they let out a small sigh as if they knew what was about to happen and it bored them.

If you stab me I WILL return the favor. Blake spoke softly his voice giving away his need for rest.

I returned the knife to its original position and just let my body ease back into the mattress.

****** ******* *******

I hit every room down stairs and headed out side to the wood pile. Anything to keep me busy and away from that snooty crazy soldier fan boy. I had made my way to the barn huffing and puffing my way around. Mad angry cleaning was the best way to work things out. I was working things out in record time. I was working my way to the top loft above the horse stalls that we used as spare bed rooms for visitors when suddenly a box fell from the side loft I had just left on the other side of the barn. ..... My anger replaced with the fear that I was not alone. I didn't have a weapon. It was to high for me to just jump straight down with out possible injury. ..... Who is there? I said boldly. No answer. Trying to be in authority when your caught off guard is harder than it looks. I was about to let my guard down when heard a noise on the ground floor.
...... Come out or I will unload this gun in your general direction and those wooden shelves won't protect you.
Ok im coming out. Don't shoot. I knew that voice but he wasn't in the barn or up here with me. He could not have jumped down with out me knowing or landing on the mess the fallen box had made.

Hey- I began but he cut me off with a quickness. No gun. It figures. His voice was cold and calculated. Come down he commanded.

What? You can't tell me what to do!

Enough come down I said. Harrison spoke harshly.

Or what? I ask elongating the sound of each word. Your not the boss of me! I yelled out like a scared but defiant kid who knew they were in trouble any way it worked out. You can't make me.

Paris-he had used the nickname he gave me. The name of his favorite city. I don't want to make you com down but I will. His voice changed but still had the you will do what I say or die tone. The calmness he showed was most disturbing.

How private panties will you make me do anything. I taunted him.

I heard a muffled snicker across the loft. Whose there I asked. Suddenly aware there were 3 people in the barn.

Harrison tried and failed to get my attention back. I was not interested. He wasn't an immediate danger to me I thought. Then I heard a gun cock. I slowly looked back down at Harrison. In his right hand a military issued 9mm and in his left a rather large knife. He was going to leave. His eyes were a deep Grey and held so many messages but one was loud and clear he meant business.

He didn't yell at me or demand i come down but spoke slowly Incase I didn't understand.
Paris im going inside now. The men are not back from patrol yet so it will just be me and the others for a while. You have very lovely friends. Surprisingly kind and trusting of me but I think that is because of you. They trust YOU and don't for a min think you would let a fox into the henhouse. Not to mention that little stunt earlier. You have put others in danger not just your self. Do you understand what I am saying?

He didn't really expect an answer i knew exactly what he was implying. He had gone from 0 to psycho in 3 seconds flat. I knew in my soul he wasn't just a hunter. He continued speaking. In sorry Paris I had hoped we could spend some quality time together but it seems your too stubborn and need to be taught a lesson in good behavior.I didn't say anything instead i climbed or rather fell down the bail rope to land hard on the ground. I recovered and stood in front of him.

Wait I can be on my best behavior. I tried to smile but failed.

Some lessons are learned the hard way my little lab rat. Harrison was waiting for me to loose it. To cry and beg.

No. I-i. Im a quick learner and can appreciate the value of a lesson learned. I adapt quickly. I bet it took you more that 6 months to track me down. I chided him hoping his concern for his pride would distract him. It Would have been longer if I hadn't stayed in one place so long. I can have them gone in 12 hours, at sunrise. Then it will be just us again. I want sure that was the best idea but if he had wanted me dead he wouldn't have saved me from jackson.