Chapter Twenty: Coronation

Chapter Twenty:

I woke up to a small shake to my shoulder. My body instinctively pulled itself up, ready to listen to my list of chores. When I realized I wasn't at my old pack, and Percyus was standing over me, I calmed down. "Good morning." I murmured, yawning the sleep from my voice.

"Good morning, Calla." He sat down on the edge of the bed, making my eyes shift nervously.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked shyly, wondering why he was sitting there. Who am I kidding, of course I am. Disgraceful slut.

"Today is a big day. I'm sorry for such the short notice, but by law, you must be coronated today." He spoke gravely, his eyes twitching back and forth.

My eyes widened. Coronation was a big deal, in front of the whole pack. I had to sacrifice my blood for the pack and address a large crowd. I wasn't ready and I knew it. My heart pounded in my chest, "Sir... please- I don't want to yet. I'm not ready."

     I felt my chest tighten and my lungs constrict. My throat felt like it had closed up completely. I just shook my head vehemently, my eyes welling up with pitiful tears.

He looked away from my eyes, knowing if he stared any longer he would give in. "Calla, I have to. It's the law. I don't want to make you do this, but if I don't, you'll be turned over to the council sand put in dungeons."

I felt tears spill over my cheeks, "Why? Please don't make me, Percyus. I'll freeze and embarrass myself. I'm too scared."

I couldn't help but imagine all of the horrid possibilities of how the day would end. I would be booed, people would throw things at me, and kick me to the ground for trying to put my disgusting self in their pack. No one here wanted me to join the pack! I was a whore.

"You'll be tortured..." Percyus pleaded, grabbing my hands and staring into my eyes. "Calla, I hate to do this-"

I knew what he was going to do, and I tried to get up. He gripped my wrists in a firm but gentle hold, making sure I wouldn't bruise. I sobbed and tried to pull away, he cradled me, trying to soothe me.

"As your king, I command you to go to coronation." He spoke, knowing his words were final.

I couldn't resist now. As my king, his command was unwavering. I felt my heart drop, and fear ate up my stomach in painful butterflies. "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry, baby." Percyus pulled me into his chest and stroked my hair, letting me cry.

     I felt my heart completely plummet to my shoes, my face aching from sobbing. I clutched his cotton shirt in my fist and let my pathetic tears rain down onto him. He didn't seem to mind, stroking my hair and whispering soothing things in my ear, as if that would help the growing hole of fear eating away at me.

"I'm sorry, Calla. Those guards in the dungeons would... touch you, and beat you." He shook his head, his eyes glimmering. "I can't let that happen." He sounded so pained that I almost believed that he felt bad for me.

"Nobody wants me in the pack. I'd would be better if I just left them." I tried to reason, my voice thick through tears.

"No, Calla, no. Everyone loves you, even though most haven't even met you. Lorenzo has been talking about you nonstop, everyone loves you. They think you're the nicest person in the world, trust me." He said gently.

I shook my head, nearly laughing at the thought. "You don't have to lie to me."

He sighed and just dropped the conversation, knowing it was futile to try to change my mind about how I felt. "One of the pack ladies bought you a dress. Why don't you go shower and change. I can braid your hair, one of the old ladies taught me." He said with a small smile.