Chapter Two

Sebastian glared red hot daggers into the face of the old grandfather clock opposite the counter he was sitting on. Time was moving entirely too slow, and he kept fantasizing about raging on the clock, even though it was one of his favorite items in the shop. He was expertly cutting and shuffling a deck of cards with his left hand, his eyes never once looking down at them.

The cards moved and bent in fluid motions, like they were caught dancing with his fingers, fully under his enchantment. The colorful design on the back of the cards blurring as his fast, skilled fingers worked them like a marionette doll.

It had been a rather slow day at the magic shop, Whodini, that he and his best friend Micah co-owned. The dark haired man preferred not to work on days that he had a show, but their only other employee quit the day before; stating they found a better opportunity, without a two week notice.

Sebastian had been furious when he received the text from Micah about it while he was in his apartment working on a new design for some upcoming decks. However, Micah had been much more calm and collected. He was fully convinced that even if Micah was murdering someone, he be doing it while apologizing with a smile.

This irked Sebastian to no end.

Whodini sold everything from beautiful handcrafted puzzles, infinite amounts of playing cards, trick cards, magic kits, and anything mysterious, dark, and curious. Anyone from a wide eyed four year old to a older lady who wanted some unique décor for her home, would find something to leave with.

If the pair could just get them to come in, that is.

Most of the shops business is online. Even then, most of the sells are for their shop designed, hand printed decks and trick cards. Foot traffic was super low despite being located in the dense shopping district of the city, and neither man could figure out why.

Their business partnership worked hand in hand with their friendship. Sebastian being the creative mind, and Micah being the more business savvy and customer friendly "face" of the shop. Not that Sebastian wasn't a nice person, he just gave off dark vibes. People tended to shy from him, but if they gave him a chance they would actually find a witty since of humor behind his devilish smirk.

He put his cards down on the counter next to the register in a neat stack, rubbing both hands over his face as he sighed heavily. He stood up, putting the curtain of dark hair that was usually over his left eye behind his ear, finally fed up with fretting with it for the day.

A crushing feeling he couldn't name came over him, his features contorting in pain. To others he probably looked ticked off and annoyed, his darker features tended to do that. It added to the mystery that was Sebastian.

Micah worked so hard, and contributed so much to Whodini. The other business partner felt like he was letting him and the shop down.

What did he do besides watch the shop, and occasionally print his doodles on cards?

"Nothing," the loathing, hate-filled growl filled his head. A voice of unreason, a mental demon that fueled his self-hatred.

"Right back at you," Sebastian mentally replied.

That was exactly the feeling he was being suffocated by, self-reproach. He felt like he had no control over his fate, his future falling like sand through his fingers more and more everyday. It left a bitter taste in his mouth that no amount of toothpaste could disperse.

In his mind he was a boring man, a business partner who was a let down. The mysterious, cocky, strong mask he brought to the stage and to the streets (occasionally performing street magic with Micah), was everything he wanted to be. But it was just a shell for his dreams to live in.