~ Chapter 2 ~

Andrea and I met up the next day. I hadn't seen my best friend since the start of the holidays, almost a full week before, and it was strange not seeing her every day like at school. Knowing me too well, she didn't come over until past ten o'clock, at which time I was dressed and awake. She grinned when she saw me and held up a hand in greeting. "Long time no see!"

"I know!" I exclaimed, closing the door behind me. "What has it been? Six days? Seven?"

"Six and a quarter," stated Andrea with surety. At my frown, she elaborated with: "Remember? I saw you from a distance on Wednesday; you were on the second level of the Mall, and I was on the fourth."

Like a light-bulb going off, I remembered. "Oh yeah!" Then I laughed. "You were stuck behind that line of old people and I was eating an ice cream."

Andrea pouted. "And you just had to eat it right there, with a dreamy look on your face as you licked it! I could have thrown my shoes at you it was that bad!"

"Aww, you poor dear." I patted her arm in mock concern. "How about I make it up to you right now? Peterson's is open."

She squealed in reply. "Will you pay?!"

Rolling my eyes, I sighed and said, "Of course."

Andrea grabbed my hand and shook it in excitement. She started walking faster, tugging me down the street. "Come on, come on! I want my Vanilla Raspberry right now!" Laughing, I let her drag me. Sunlight was hot above us, hot and sticky, and I was glad we only had another month left of summer. The only thing I found pleasing about summer was the fact my skin tanned lightly; except for on my nose and cheeks, which freckled after each bout of sunburn. As well as that, my hair got lightened, turning from its usual dark blonde to a softer paleness. It would never be the startling golden of Amber's, but I was happy none-the-less. Andrea tugged harder. "Come on, Wynny! I want ice cream!"

I rolled my eyes again. "OK, OK, I'm coming!"

Peterson's Ice Cream shop only had a few customers sitting on their high stools around the small round tables. Andrea ran straight up to the desk and immediately ordered. When I reached her, she turned her big brown eyes to me and smiled broadly. "Chocolate Peppermint for you, right?"

I nodded and nudged her side. "You know me too well, Drea."

She laughed, nodding her head and causing her curly dark hair to bob along. "I know! But maybe I know you too well, if you know what I mean?" She winked conspiratorially, making me laugh.

"Oh?" I played along. "And why is that?"

Her eyes glittered. "I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who knows you prefer Batman to Superman, although you tell everyone you just love Superman." I grinned and shrugged, not denying. "Which," she continued, pointing at me and narrowing her eyes. "I still don't understand."

"Ahh, the mysteries surrounding Bronwyn French are many," I stated pompously.

"And—" Andrea prodded my shoulder. "I know you've liked Chase Burrows since we started high school yet haven't even said more than a few sentences to him."

"It'll ruin the image!" I exclaimed in protest. At Andrea's disbelieving face, I said in a softer voice, "I don't want to talk to him and be disappointed. If I don't talk to him, I can keep on liking him without knowing if he's an asshole or not." A silly grin spread its way over my face and I said dreamily, "He's nice to look at..."

Andrea scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Of course he's nice to look at! And he knows it!"

"So?" I defended. "He's pretty."

Andrea was stopped from replying by two ice creams being handed over the counter. "Here you go, girls," the elderly man said, smiling. "Enjoy them."