1: Chuck-E-Cheese

- I R I S -

I stood in the corridor of Chuck-E-Cheese waiting for a boy who I never knew wouldn't show up.

I turn back around to be greeted by a giant smiling mouse.

"I'm not in the mood right now Chucky," I said sitting down at a table and sighed. I rested my head on my palms and sulked. Out of all day's he chooses to be late, it's my 16th birthday party. I picked up my phone and glanced to still see a blank lock screen. I unlocked my phone and decided to call him again, but it just went to voicemail as usual.

"Hey Ryan, where are you? I've called like six times already. I don't want to cut the cake without you," I said with an exhausted sigh at the end. I hung up and dropped my phone back on the table and began to rhythmically tap on the table with my freshly done nails. I looked behind me to see a majority of my friends messing around with an adult in a happy mouse costume. Very mature.

"Where is he?" my best friend Emily said impatiently. Her eyes glistened with worry and sadness. She sat down across from me in the booth and stared at me. I looked down for a while and looked up to see her still looking at me. Damn, those deep brown eyes of hers. Full of intensity, I tell you.

"What?" I asked.

"He's not coming dude. Just enjoy your birthday without him. Eat your cake," she said. She got up and walked off to where Chucky was before I even had a chance to respond to her. What does that even mean? I heard a beep on my phone and look down to see a message from Ryan. Finally. I unlocked my phone and looked at the message.

I'm breaking up with you Iris. I'm not going to lie, I found someone better than you and I like her more so bye. Lose my number and don't call me. Thanks!

What? Are you kidding me? I looked around to make sure no one was watching and vigorously tapped my screen.

Me: Are you serious?

Ryan: Yeet. Bye.

Me: Never talk to me again. I never want to see you again. I cannot believe you would do this to me.

Ryan: k.

"k."? Are you kidding me? he really just responded with "k". I looked around my shoulder and found Emily walking toward me. My throat started to tense up and hurt a little while my eyes were stinging the hell out of me.

"Is everything okay?" she asked looking worried. I tried to put my head down so she couldn't see my face and tried my best to not let my voice crack.

"Y-yes," I said with a hiccup. I couldn't help it anymore. I was going to burst. I felt a warm presence wrap me up in a matter of seconds. I don't even need to look to know it's Emily. I softly whimper into her hoping nobody notices. That would be embarrassing. I hear my friends in the background still teasing the giant happy man mouse.

I feel Emily helping me get up and notice she is taking me over to the bathroom. Loud doors crash after we enter and she was still holding on to me, comforting me. She pulled away to look at me after awhile.

"Don't worry honey, you don't need him. I'm so sorry this happened to you. This whole situation is terrible," she said immediately bringing me back into her warm, loving hug.

"Thank you," I said. 

After some time I went back out to check on Chucky.

"Don't disrespect Chucky like that," I said jokingly. Everyone was happy to see me, but also never really seemed to notice that I was not around this whole time. Some friends.

"Can we eat cake now?" someone said

"Sure," I said. Chucky went back to get the cake while my friends and I sat down at our tables. In a few seconds, I saw Chucky and the employees crowding around my table singing happy birthday to me. I knew this was a bad birthday, but hopefully, from now I can make the most of it. It will be a new year in a few days after all.

All this pain and emotions I had swirled around inside me. I let it sink into me. Become a part of me. That was the worst mistake I made. I closed my eyes and made my wish blowing out all the candles with one strong blow.

Hopefully, my wish comes true.

"And so yeah that's how my Winter break went," I said making eye contact with my table partner beside me. I finally caught my breath after talking for such a long time.

"I just asked you how your weekend was," He replied with a frightened look on his face. He slowly turned away from me and raised his eyebrows. He pulled out his phone and pretended to be busy so he could avoid me. I watched him stare at his phone continuously refreshing his Instagram page hoping something new would pop up when I got startled by a loud bell. He put his phone away and let out a small sigh of relief.

"Hello class," the teacher started to say.

I don't think he's going to be asking me that question anymore.

Sorry, this chapter is short! To help with any confusion, this is the updated version, so things will be different from now on. More chapters to come soon.

I hope you liked it! :) ~Bell