6: Curious George

- I R I S -

I walked into physics, sat down and looked up when I felt the warm presence of someone next to me. 

"Hey, Lucas," 

"Hey, Iris," he said looking kind of concerned.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said with a small reassuring smile.

"You look like you've been crying. Are you sure?" He said with a soft whisper.

"Yeah, thanks for asking," I said with a small laugh and head nod which he returned with a head nod of his own.

After a few moments, he began to speak again.

"I'm having a party at my house soon. I'd really like you to be there," he said with a beaming smile. I raised my eyebrows with surprise and thought about the offer for a moment before responding.

"I would be honored to be at your party," I smiled back brightly.

***

I pushed my way through the heavy doors as soon as the school bell rang releasing all the prisoners. I looked over to my car to see a tall boy leaning against the driver's side of it. I slowly walked over to him with a small smile which he returned when I caught his eye. I admired his smile, his stance, his demeanor. Everything about him seemed too good to be true. 

Maybe it is.

"How was your day?" he asked when I approached. He pulled a lighter out of his pocket and lit up a little white and orange stick. I mentally cringed and felt my body tense up

"Good. I'm kind of tired though. I didn't really sleep well," I replied keeping my eyes locked on him.

"Could you not do that?" 

"Do what?" he asked raising his eyebrow causing me to tilt my head and stick my hand out, gesturing to his smoking habit.

"Oh, sorry," he said looking me in the eyes and taking another puff. Is this guy serious?

"That's a nasty habit, you know?" I said scrunching up my eyebrows.

"You are killing yourself. Also, who still smokes cigarettes? Don't people vape and Juul or something nowadays?" I asked.

"I only like organic drugs. It makes me feel healthier," he said smirking. He threw the bud on the ground and stomped on it before looking back up at me.

You littered, you little litterer.

"I can drive if you want," he said.

"No, because you are now technically 'under the influence'," I said with air quotes. He shrugged and shook his head with a slight smirk and got into the passenger's seat while I started the car.

***

I stuck my key into the front door and looked back to see Alex helping Ella out of the car. I rolled my eyes and smiled while I walked inside setting my keys and backpack down. 

She ran through the door and a few seconds later Alex showed up and closed the door with a wide smile on his face.

"She's too precious," he said with his eyes full of adoration for her.

"Isn't she?" I smiled at him then turned to look at Ella. I went over to the couch and turned on the tv so she would be occupied.

"Okay, Ella, Alex and I are going to be upstairs in my room for a little bit. If you need anything just knock on my door, and remember do not ever answer the door. If you hear anything, you come straight to my room, got it?" I said in a stern voice.