New Beginnings

Riiiiiiiiiinggg!!!!!

"Ahh, what is that incessant noise!?",Caldon yelled jolting out of his slumber. He sat up in his bed rubbing his head and glanced around his unfamiliar surroundings. The first thing that came to his vision was the blank off white walls of his new room illuminated with yellow sunlight coming in from a cracked window. The room was incredibly bland in comparison to the reefs he used to wake up too. He rubbed his eyes and remembered where he was "oh... that's right..." he mumbled to himself, his mood darkening a bit. He fiddled with the still screeching alarm clock,trying to remember how to turn the bloody thing off. After 5 minutes of fumbling with the thing it finally ceased its irritating screech.

"No wonder humans always seem so agitated. Is everyone  here awoken by such an awful thing". He muttered to himself while glaring at the device mulling over his distaste. He looked at the clock and it finally clicked that 7 minutes had rolled by with him cursing technology. Sighing, he rolled out of bed,and stood on shaky legs. 'Its going to take me a while to get used to this' he thought sourly while trying to remember how to coordinate his steps. Legs were so awkward and knees are so unsightly.

After a little while he figured out how to walk semi-properly and made it to the bathroom. It was a small room with a faded pink tile covering everything, even the toilet was pink. It was really an eyesore. Getting distracted from his thoughts again, Caldon knew it was time for him to get ready for school and his stomach sunk with the notion.  He looked at himself in the dirty clouded mirror and stared at the strange reflection for a moment. It's amazing how different his human self looked. He just felt so.. orange (but what would you expect seeing blue for your entire life).It was weird to see himself now sporting some"sandy" brown hair and dull green/blue eyes. It looked like murky water to him. Caldon didn't feel like it was very becoming of him, but this was now his form, for the time being at least and there was nothing he could do about it. His skin was very white, it had more color than its usual porcelain hue but it was still pretty white with that orange human undertone. He was happy to see that some of his features were still the same though. He still had the same regal stature, high cheek bones, and spritely features  that were common for his people, including the slightly arched eyebrows and mirthful eye shape. Atleast he didn't look like a complete stranger.

   Caldon sighed turning his attention now to his neck and lightly ran his fingers down the side of it feeling for the familiar indented lines of his gills. It was pretty weird not using them, it kinda felt like they were all for show in this form. He briefly pondered covering them up, but shuddered at the thought, that would be suicidal. With another shudder  he went on with his morning routine. He slipped on a plain grey t-shirt that fit pretty snug on him and paired with some loose faded cargo shorts and covered his feet with some of knock off converse.  'These clothes were left in this house when we bought it' he thought sourly to himself taking in their musty scent ' I will have to talk to mom about finding some clothes that actually fit and don't reek' he thought while tugging on the shirt. He was worried that the clothes would somehow draw to much attention.

"Shit.....Damn..... Ass!"

Hearing a string of foreign words, Caldon ran down stairs to see his mother fussing with the stove. There was a black plume of smoke emanating from whatever she was making. It smelled charred and vile. She was apparently trying out something vocabulary that she had picked up from the TV last night. Now she was watching a human cooking show with a scary silver haired lady making some type of ...bread? Mom was leaning against a yellow tiled counter and was watching the show with rapt attention while attempting to salvage whatever was on the stove.  She was covered in a bit of soot and seemed to be having trouble with her human form. I guess its easier for the young.

  Her skin was pale as porcelain with a blue tint to it. Random scales could be seen on her arms and chest and her ears were still pointed at the ends. It looks like her fingered were still webbed as well. Her eyes also seemed to have taken the same murky green look as him. She was wearing  a purple sundress with orange flowers printed on it and was also sporting some yellow rubber boots.  Caldon stifled a laugh and sat down at their small round kitchen table.

"Having some trouble there mom?" He asked with a bemused smile.

She huffed in response and placed plate in front of him. It had some black charred....bread? and three odd shriveled pieces of meat and a green apple. He wrinkled his nose in distaste at the ashen food. His mother gave him a pointed look and placed her hands on her hips in agitation.

"Oh you stop with that, apparently humans love it, its something called bacon, it is apparently very delicious..... I also tried to make the toast of the french but I don't think it is correct "

She  thought something to herself for a minute, probably trying to figure out what went wrong  when she smiled and decided to finish setting the table, setting two other plates in front of their seats. He looked at the strange food again and decide he would opt for the apple. He grabbed his empty faded green messenger bag and headed out. With an afterthought he paused in the door way and yelled back to his mother.

"Oh mom? by the way.... your scales are showing again"

He said with a chuckle walking out the door

"Ah Helvíti!" she said cursing in their native tongue "Have a nice day at school Cal" She said while absentmindedly trying to will the scales away.

Caldon laughed at his mothers use of language and began his short 10 minute walk to school from their decrepit house. They got it for a real bargain. The family first came on land with a few artifacts they were able to collect over the years. Old coins, jewelry, the works. The stuff was just garbage to them but the old lady gave us the house for just one of the coins. ' I guess we got really lucky' he thought to himself ' after all she left almost everything that didnt hold sentimental value to her. He mused for a while, lost in thought when he started to hear the chitter chatter of people and cars. He was nearing the parking lot of the school. It was nice that that walk was close to the coast and it seemed like the school was across the road from the ocean...err..bay. Bays are a little too shallow and dirty for his taste.... but it was still pleasant. Well at least he wouldn't feel antsy and landlocked.

As he weaved his way through the parking lot to the entrance of the school, he began to feel uneasy. Humans were mulling about the place everywhere. He felt so many eyes on him, he is not used to being in plain sight in front of so many humans.

Caldon made is way through the parking lot and up the large steps to the double doors of the school.He took a deep breath and placed a hand on the door. With his advanced hearing, he could already hear the hundreds of humans swarming within the building. He paused with his hand on the door, seemingly frozen as his mind began to conjure up a million different scenarios of things that could go wrong. His mouth was opening and closing, kind of like he was having and argument with himself. The shrill bell rang and he jumped startled and tightened his grip on the door. He began to feel the presence of someone directly behind him.

A deep humorous voice spoke into his ear.

"Are you just going to stand there gaping like a fish all day...or are you going to let me get to class?"

*******************

Welp that's the first little part, sorry if it seems blocky and odd, im still trying to get into the flow of things. Please tell me what you think! or what I can improve on or whatever mistakes there may be. I did this on my phone so there are probably tons!

***************

I just re-edited this two years later and I hope its better. I am going to continue with this story.  I thought it would be cool for the family to speak a nordic language ( given their ties to the sea) and so now their native tongue is Icelandic.