nineteen

~Emma's POV~

"Mommy!" Mateó barges in. "There back! I need my shot before it's too late!"

Gina looks at me confused. I know exactly what he's talking about. I reach into the drawer of the nightstand. I pull out the cootie catcher.
"Duty calls," I say looking at Gina.

"Come on there in the gonna get Alex and Avery! And worst of all, Mamá,"

"They can't get Mamá and I. Remember we're too old." We're in the living room now.

"Well what about Munchkin,"

"How many times do I have to tell you? That not my name it's Danielle or Dani." Carmen groans.

Mateó pulls on my hand. "I think Munchkin has the cooties."

"Yeah I think she does too. Care to do the honors?" I say handing him the cootie catcher. Since she's on the couch, Mateó jumps up and takes her down. He uses the cootie catcher to destroy what ever cooties she has.

"Ahhhh," I hear Carmen yell out. "I don't have any. I promise."

"Yes you do. You will always have them if I don't get them now." Mateó is the honorary cootie catcherer. Yes we added an extra er because that's the way he pronounces it.

"Okay Mateó they're gone for now." I say. He climbs down off of his sister.

"I just saved your life," he says looking in the eyes. He puts his hand her knee. "I'm just doing my job. One cootie at a time." This is what he says every time someone has the cooties.

We walk back to my room and before running off Mateó follows behind me. He climbs on the bed and on to Gina.

"Mamá can I see your arm."

"Sure," She says skeptically.

"I'm just giving you your cootie shot. I know you can't get them, but I have to make sure you are safe," he says giving her a cootie shot. He hands me the cootie catcher a I put it back it the drawer. He leaves the room after giving me one as well.

"What the hell are cooties and why can't I get them?" Gina asks.

"You don't know what cooties are?" She shakes her head so I explain what they are to her. "We can't get them because we've gone through puberty. I didn't feel like explaining puberty to Mateó so I just told him that we're too old."

"I still don't get what they are." I turn the tv on and search for the movie "Cooties."