Chapter 25

November 24, 2016

Staring at his laptop screen, Dale sat cross-legged on his bed with his guitar between his legs. He's been trying to learn how to play the instrument for a couple of weeks since he found out that the girl liked was into musicians.

He strummed the guitar strings for a while, memorizing the placing of his fingers. He closed his eyes, ready to sing, when his bedroom door slammed open.

"Hey dork, suit up! We're leaving in ten minutes." His sister, Leslie, leaned against the doorway, wearing a brown dress and a smug smile on her face. It's Thanksgiving's Day and they had dinner reservations at La Vizio's.

Dale scrunched up his eyebrows and gave his sister a glare before looking down at the clock in his laptop screen. "It's only two," he stated dumbly. His voice was raspy from all the singing he's been doing lately.

With an exasperated sigh, Leslie stood up straight and strode to his closet. "I know it's only two, but we're leaving soon. Get dressed now. Or else, I'm leaving you and you're gonna have to find your way to get there."

"Why? Dinner's not until 7, and mom's still at work."

"I have to go to this thing first and pick up something," she vaguely explained.

Dale used to get mad at how talkative his sister was, always sharing her opinions and jokes even when no one asked for it or it's irrelevant to the conversation. Sure, the jokes were funny and you could learn a thing or two from her opinions, but she just never shut up.

Now that she was being secretive and dodgy, Dale realized he didn't like it one bit and was starting to get worried. He suddenly wondered what life would be without his sister's annoying voice imparting him her "wisdom" and he didn't want to imagine it, not even for a second.

Instead of speaking up about it though, he just shrugged. "That sounds like a you problem, not mine. There's still a lot of time and I need it to practice." He raised his guitar like it's his newborn baby, in case she hadn't seen it yet. Which she had, of course.

"It's gonna be a you problem if you don't leave with me now. And sweetie, you don't need to practice anymore." She handed him a pair of black jeans that didn't have a hole on it and a blue long sleeved shirt, then patted his head before leaving his room to give him a privacy.

"Why? Am I getting good?" He grinned, stripping down to his boxers then hurriedly put on the clothes his sister picked out for him.

"No," she answered from the hallway. "Mona's got a new boyfriend."

Dale stilled for a moment, he looked down because his heart just dropped and felt it left his body and thought he could find it shattered on his floor.

"What?" He called out once his throat didn't feel like it was closing up. He fumbled with the last button of his shirt before bolting out of his room. "Since when?"

Leslie was looking down at her phone, not bothering to look up when she answered. "Last night. Xander Marshall."

While cursing under his breath, he slumped down at the floor and leaned against the couch his sister was sitting at. "This sucks. I... I thought she likes me. Sh-she... she said, well, she didn't say anything actually. But I just wasted my time doing," he paused to point at his room, "that! I even sliced my fingers so I could learn and play to her. And Xander Marshall? Seriously? I'm pretty sure the only instrument he knows how to play is the triangle!"

Leslie glanced down at her brother and laughed. "God, that was all for Mona? And here I thought you just really wanted to learn because you're ashamed that you don't have any talent."

"I do have a talent," he snarled, and in a small voice, he added, "and I thought it was sweet."

"Well, maybe, you'll find a girl someday who will like your sweetness or whatever... more than your guitar skills," she giggled. Dale raised his middle finger in response before returning back to his room. He was putting on his socks when he heard the doorbell rings and his sister cussed loudly.  He went to the living room when the doorbell won't stop buzzing and found his sister just staring at the door.

"I don't know if you like that sound, but I don't," Dale joked, but Leslie shushed him. "What? Who is it?"

Dale wanted to ask if Scott was coming over but he knew his sister wouldn't react this way - scared and panicked - if it was her boyfriend waiting downstairs. Seconds later, someone knocked at their door and Leslie flinched.

"We can pretend we're not here, that's totally fine with me. But will you at least, please, tell me who could that possibly be?" Dale asked in a hushed tone.

Leslie continued to shush him, but his question was answered anyway when the person outside called out their nicknames. Now it was Dale's turn to panic. They luckily survived almost ten months without any encounter with the devil, Dale would appreciate it if it would extend into a year.

"What's he doing here? Did you know he's gonna be here?" he hissed, ignoring their father's pleas to open the door. Leslie could only shake her head, still staring at the door with wide eyes. She gasped when the doorknob rattled, taking a step back.

"Okay, that's it. We're getting out of here." Dale went back to his room for his phone, wallet, and shoes.

Leslie was still rooted on her spot when he got back, the pounding on the door was getting louder and angrier. Dale stood in front of his sister, blocking her view of the door. "Les, hey, come on. He's still outside, but it's gonna be a you problem if you won't leave with me now." He raised his eyebrow, hoping to get her smile for using her own words against her.

She nodded but didn't move. He had to drag her to her room to get her things and put them in her purse. He opened the window and helped her gently get out. He followed her and closed the window quietly, then climbed down the stairs quickly before their father catches them.

Dale took it upon himself to drive his sister's car while she's still shocked. They didn't have any destination so he just drove around the city while they listened to the radio.

"I'm sorry I froze," Leslie muttered after a few songs, staring outside the window but slowly coming back to her senses. "You even had to drag me out there."

"It's okay, it's not like I'm ever gonna leave you."