Chapter 3: what's going on, baby?

Lights were out, you could hear the inmates tossing and turning from time to time and, steps of the guard pacing through the corridors to make sure everyone was in his place. That night it was CO McCullough's shift, even though she was treated like shit from the inmates especially the Spanish Harlem she took an immediate liking to the tiny one and the giant one, and returned to Litchfield after everything had settled down after the riot.

Maritza didn't move an inch since CO Humphrey talked to her, she could still feel his warm breath behind her ear and down her neck. She couldn't move it felt like she was paralyzed. What was she going to do now? is it safe to tell Flaca? or is she going to put her in danger if she talks? her mind was hurting from crying and from thinking too much about what she should do.

Her thoughts and silent crying were both interrupted by a powerful thunder that roared in every corner of Litchfield and lit up every part of it too. From under the blanket she could see the cube light since it was made from thin shitty fabric, but she was too focused on thinking about what had just happened to her that she didn't notice. But light travels faster than sound, and a few seconds after a loud thud could be heard by every inmate at Litchfield, but everyone remained silent as if nothing had happened. But something happened for Maritza and it scared the shit out of her. She let out a loud yelp without wanting to that made some inmates groan and throw shade at her even if they had no idea who it was. Now she was even more scared then before, she was one of the tiniest inmates in there and had no idea how to protect herself. Her only protection was Flaca which was fast asleep by now, or at least she thought. What if someone recognized her high-pitched voice? they could knock her unconscious by 1 finger which is probably bigger then all her 5 together.

She slowly turned to face Flaca's bunk hoping to get her mind of off things when looking at her tall sleeping best friend, but to her surprise Flaca wasn't in her bunk.

She started to panic at the thought that CO Humps 2.0 had done something to her best friend. Her breath became uneven once more and she started panicking. Tears made their way through the trails the old ones had left behind them her heart started racing and aching at the same time. Her mind was full of negative thoughts.

She had just been reunited with her other half just a few weeks ago and they had gotten closer to each other than they ever were, they stopped fighting about stupid things and talked more about how lucky they felt to have each other once again. And Maritza was not about to let anyone separate them from each other again, not now not ever. She got up from her laying position and sat at the edge of the bunk her feet barely touching the ground because of her short legs. She had a huge panic attack on her, her hands were shaking and she was having trouble breathing.

"you ok there princess?"

Flaca's raspy voice came from somewhere under Maritza, she had been sitting on the floor next to Maritza's bunk this whole time.

Maritza flinched at the word "princess" and held her breath for a few seconds before it hit her, it was Flaca, Flaca was right there by her side. God did she love that attractive raspy voice she got whenever she was tired or had just woken up.

Maritza started searching from where the sound might have came. She breathed a sigh of relief as she saw the taller girl's shadow near her bunk thanks to the night lamp they had. "Flaca!" she breathed out with gratefulness and sadness both laced in her voice. Flaca could see that Maritza was having trouble breathing even though she tried to hide it from her.

"hey, hey what's going on baby?"

Maritza blushed, she always blushed whenever Flaca would call her such names, even if it was normal for them to call each other names she still got chills hearing those words coming from Flaca.

Maritza had to tell her everything, but she wasn't in the mood to talk about how fucked up of a mother she had, how fucked up her life was and how she knew CO Humps 1.0 before she ended at Litchfield and what he did to her.

So, she just looked at her tall best friend on the floor with tears threatening to fall again, then she got out of her bunk and straddled Flaca who was on the ground next to her bunk, she looked at her for a moment an then put her hands around Flaca's neck and hugged her firmly afraid of letting go of her. She was about to burst into crying but was trying to hold the tears back.

Flaca pulled her closer to her and held her tight, gently stroking her hair worried of what might have happened to her.

"Mari, hey baby it's okay"

she whispers in her ear trying to calm her down.