Chapter 6

The next day at school when he enters the room, he waves at the (h/c)-haired woman. She gives him a small nod before he's swarmed by the other girls and they all ask him questions about his love life. He looks over to (Y/n) for help, but she's too busy looking over the notes from the day before.
  A small smile on her lips as she tries to ignore what's happening to the red-headed male. He forces a laugh as he tries to calm the girls down and answer to the best of his ability without giving anything away. He finally breaks away from them before he sits down at his seat.
  "A little elf would've been nice," he whispers to her and she scoffs slightly. "What's so funny?"
  "You think that I can suddenly do a complete one-eighty from what I was like the other day? If I do, everyone in this class will be completely shocked," she sighs out and slides back the notebooks he gave her last night. "I've been cold and standoff-ish for so long. They won't be able to understand... no one here knows why I'm the way I am. You don't even know. You probably don't even know half of it."
  "So," he lowers his voice and leans in closer to him. "It doesn't have anything to do with your father?"
  Her hand meets his cheek and she stands up, "Don't you even. You have no idea what I've been through."
  "She slapped me," she leaves him sitting there shocked. No one has ever done that before; not even his father. He blinks his eyes a few times as a girl comes over to him and asks if he's okay, "She slapped me."
  She sits on the roof and lets the wind rush over her. This is exactly what she's afraid of, letting her anger take a hold of her; turning into her father. She shouldn't have done that, and she shouldn't be ditching class for the second day in a row.
  She drags her knees up to her chest and places her head in between them. This is why she hasn't made any friends recently, this is why she let all the friends she had go; her fear is more powerful than her hope. It's going to rain today, she can tell, but she didn't bring an umbrella today.
  She stays on the roof until water starts to drip down onto her from the sky, slowly at first, but she wasn't going to stay outside while it was pouring. The door closes behind her as the final bell of the day rings. It figures that it starts raining the moment she has to walk home, maybe she'll just stay at school until the rain stops.
  She waits at the front of the school under the shelter of a roof. A horn honks and she looks over to the noise to see Ichiji's car. He climbs over the seat and opens the passenger's door, "Get in, I'll drive you home."
  She lets out a sigh before she runs over and gets in, slamming the door behind her and turning to him. He's giving her a smile, "I thought that you would've gone home by now."
  "My father would be there. He'd probably kill me if I went home," she shakes her head as she puts on her seatbelt, "Also... I'm sorry about hitting you earlier... I just get so-"
  "Don't worry about it," he lets out sigh and shrugs. "It didn't even hurt."
  She reaches out to touch his face where she slapped him, "Really? I thought I slapped you pretty hard..."
  He moves his face away from her hand as he stares at her, "What are you doing?"
  "You don't even have a mark... I thought that you'd at least have a small bruise... because my hand hurt so much..." she looks at her hand as the rain runs down the window. "Have you never had anyone touch you to take care of an injury after you've gotten hurt?"
"What do you mean?" he takes his car out of park and leaves the school lot, getting stuck at a red light before switching on his turn signal.
"When I went to touch you," she stares at the raindrops trying to make it to the bottom of the windshield without getting caught in the wipers. "You flinched... and dodged me. Are you uncomfortable with people touching you?"
  "Oh," he turns the car onto the street as he stares in deep thought. "Well, no, guess I'm not used to people touching me."
"Really?" she hums quietly, clutching his hand and placing it in her lap. "That's... sad."
  For a while, nothing but the sound of the rain tapping on the metal and the tires on the road are heard. Then, suddenly, Ichiji finally lets out a sigh, "Yeah. I guess it is."
  "You guess?" the car comes to a slow stop, about a block away from her house, so she turns towards him, "Everything alright?"
  "Everything's fine," he takes a deep breath, "I just thought that you'd want me to drop you off a block away since the last time you-"
  "Oh, of course. Thanks, Ichiji. I... really appreciate the ride," she opens the car door and gets out. She lets out a sigh, closes the door, and walks away.
  He watches her walk away in the rain, her steps seem to be weighed down by something. She isn't in any rush to leave the rain, so much so that she just randomly stops  in the middle of the street and lays down.
  He raises an eyebrow, "Is she crazy? A car could run her over if she stays there for too long. I could-"
  Before he knows it, he's stepping out of his car and walking towards her, "What are you doing, you fool?"
  "Me? Well... I'm thinking," she replies, her eyes closed and palms out. "What are you doing?"
  "The same," he sits down next to her and looks up at the dark sky. "(Y/n)... what do you... want from life?"
  "That's a deep question from someone I don't even know," she laughs slightly. "But... I don't know. To live, I guess. Why?"
  "Because... I'm not so sure either," he smiles slightly before it falls. "So... if you don't mind... I think I'll join you on your journey. Maybe I'll find my answer that way."

=>End<=